1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hyd cylinder seals

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by firelwn82, Oct 29, 2009.

1. firelwn82

firelwn82 PlowSite.com Addict

I need to replace the seals on the right hydraulic cylinder. First I need to find out where to get them from. Second I need to know if I should replace the seals or replace the entire cylinder. Any advice would be good. While I'm at it I will probably replace both of them.

Thanks in advance
  2. fireside

fireside Senior Member

You can get the seal kit from any blizzard dealer. If the rods have any pitting or rust you can change the seals but they will leak again. The pits will just rip the new seal kit real quick. Yuo may also want to change the nut on the bottom of the rod sometimes they are damaged and break off with one good hit
  3. firelwn82

So if the ram is pitted is there a way to fix it. Like sand it down or would I just have to replace the entire cylinder??
  4. alsam116

alsam116 Senior Member

i had a seal leak last year from pitting, and took it to the dealer they couldnt even get the ram apart so i went ahead and bought the whole cylinder for $160. the other one was pitted also but doesnt leak yet so i replaced it too and now have a somewhat spare if needed just in case.
  5. fastjohnny

fastjohnny Senior Member

Rechromed is an option, but may be cost effective to buy new.
  6. firelwn82

Yeah I think I'll pass on the re-croming. I looked into having some motorcycle parts cromed and about **** myself.