1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

hybrid western unitra mount

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by elite1msmith, Dec 26, 2008.

1. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

hey guys:drinkup: i know im a pain,

so i have a quesion , and an idea , i figured i couldrun it past you guys

so i picked up this central hydro dump.... awsume spreader.... plow sucks

my arm got tired from moving the freaken lever ... its too slow, in fact when the cental plow broke and we rigged a regular electric/hydrolic plow, to run...it was much more productive , i felt anyway ...or at least i was happier using it

so i figured, i could aways add elec. valves on it.... (oh its a 8.5 western uni)

well i was looking at the cost of that, i could almost just buy a pump from western , and make it a regular plow for the same cost.. at least then i could switch it truck to truck

so i got thinking more...and a few more :drinkup:

instead of buying the "red pump" with the lift cylinder built in.... why not keep the plow as is with the seperate lift cylinder , and mount a ultra mount pump, and keep the seperate cylinder.... then add quick disconnects to the pump? change the fluid to standard hydro fluid.....

so if the electronic , regular pump went down , i would just pull the disconnects and connect back to the central system?

i know this all seems like a bit much , but if im gonna convert it back to a standard plow, why not at least keep the central option open to me for emergancys?

i already decided, that regaurdless, im going to wire the truck correctly for a standard plow, even if we stay central...

so basicly the cost of doing this would be the difference between the unimount pump and the ultra mount pump... plus the disconnects
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2008
  2. WilliamOak

WilliamOak PlowSite.com Addict

Do whatever as long as the thing speeds up lol.
  3. TRKling

TRKling Member

On all our truck with central, we have regular pumps on them. They do not run off central for that very reason. If the central system goes down, at least I can still plow with the truck - of course that takes into account having the spare pumps readily available, in case one of those breaks. :nod: