1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hybrid Unimount / Ultramount bracket

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Dogplow Dodge, Nov 12, 2013.

1. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Any Western Plow GURU's here ???

I would like to know the difference between the ultramount and the unimount truck push plates / brackets. I've never seen or used an ultramount bracket in person.... so here's my quandary.

Why ? I would like to put a ultramount setup on my dodge, and from everything here, and a stop to my local supplier, the stopped producing the ultramount in the 1994 year Dodge....

So...

Can the ultramount be converted to fit the older trucks? How much different are the mounting systems ? Has anyone ever done a hybrid of the two mounts ? If not, then I have only two real choices...other than having a custom bracket made, which at the current time isn't out of the question.

Sell the plow I bought
    or buy another truck.

Right now, I'm leaning towards buying another truck at the end of the plowing season, but I just don't have the storage for another vehicle.

So.... I guess I'll sit on it, put it up for sale, and in the mean time see if I can have a custom bracket made up by combining the two setups.:rolleyes:

Thoughts ?

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

They didn't stop producing the ultramount in 94, as was said earlier they only went back to 95 for the ultramount
    The ultra and uni's are 2 totally different set ups. If you can, find out if a 95 or 96 has the same frame and get a ultra for that year and bolt it to your tk

3. Dogplow Dodge

from NJ

The guy at the local plow shop said the 94 dodge was the "first" available for the ultramount, and that's what I went by. True or false, this is what I was told. I guess 94/95 doesn't really make any difference, as the trucks were redesigned in 94 and nothing is the same. The 94 and newer dodges went to a fully boxed frame and the suspension systems went to coils. I have the old "c" channel front clip and leaf springs. The "second Gen" dodges are different animals, and from what I understand, nothing is interchangeable without significant modification.

I guess there most likely isn't anyone out there who's created the hybrid, but I figured I ask anyway. It would have to be a hybrid, or completely custom mount from what I gather... as frames are wider in the 94 and up, and the boxing significantly affects how it's put together..

I guess it's just worth looking into another truck come next fall.

4. 55cgas

55cgas Member
    from NJ

I'm not 100% sure what you are asking, but I have an ultramount frame on my truck and use a unimount plow. Western sells an ultramount to unimount adaptor. Actually I just re read and saw your truck is a 92, when I first look for some reason I read 02....

Last edited: Nov 14, 2013
  5. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

There talking the other way around

6. Dogplow Dodge

from NJ

Western does not make a ultramount for my truck. I have an ultramount plow that I want to use.

Therefore, I need somehow to either fabricate an ultramount braket to fit my truck, or buy another truck so I can use my plow. I still have the unimount, and a completely rebuilt unimount 8.6 with new blade and cutting edge, but I'd love to use the v-plow I just picked up. So, either fabricate, or buy another truck. I was looking at Ebay last night, and for the life of me, I didn't see a F350 Reg Cab SRW 4x4 Diesel without a utility body (THAT I LIKE) or isn't a rotted out POS. I can't afford it now, but thinking that in the future that's what I would want

7. 2006Sierra1500

2006Sierra1500 PlowSite.com Addict

I'd just have something fabricated. Maybe a leaf sprung Ford mount might be close?

8. Dogplow Dodge

from NJ

Good Idea ! Never thought of that. Will investigate. :drinkup: