1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

HUGH Problem

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by FTGUprprtyMaint, Mar 27, 2008.

1. FTGUprprtyMaint

FTGUprprtyMaint Member

So today i was at my part time job where im a manager at a local oil change garage and had my truck over the pit, my truck has been making some weird sqeeking noise from the steering, someone told me it might be a ball joint; well today i discovered both of my front u joints at the axles were definitely the problem. I was able to take the front drive shaft and twist it enough to were i could see the knuckles of the axle move back and forth before the joints would move at all. THEN my next problem is the weather is calling for 3-5 inches of snow tonight, and then another 1-3 during the day tomorrow. Its been snowing for a few hrs now but nothing has stuck to the pavement just some real heavy stuff on the grass. its about 33*F right now. SO MY QUESTION to you guys do u think it will be alright to run plowing in the morning?????????

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Plow you have no choice

3. FTGUprprtyMaint

FTGUprprtyMaint Member

i know that but is it safe?

4. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

you could

plow it till it breaks and hope it makes it threw all the accounts

try and get someone else to cover all your accounts with there truck

get the new parts asap and replace the worn parts

or run in 2wd since it then wont be using the front driveshaft/axle

I plowed a whole storm with a bad u joint in the front drive shaft i went easy on it and it lasted the storm.

5. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

What he said. Not suppose to get a lot just take your time.

6. gotsnow?

gotsnow? Senior Member

I had a u-joint going bad on my old 97 Dodge 1500, didn't figure out what was clicking till I was already on my way to my accounts... Decided to plow anyway.............. Thought I'd try it all in 2wd, got a few yards and the snow was too heavy, started spinning out constantly. Went ahead and shifted into 4wd and within a minute my U-joint had exploded, tore a yoke off the axle side of the axle shaft! Cost: $450 for parts, another $150 for labor. Maybe just a freak incident, maybe not. Think about it.

7. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

I'd just go with a lot of ballast, as far back in the bed as you can get it. Try your best with 2wd. But be sure not to let the tires spin to much or you'll slide the truck sideways, depending on the grade, and get into some trouble in a snow bank or something.

Good luck!

8. theguynextdoor

theguynextdoor Senior Member

Well I'm glad I read this post. My front end makes the most messed up sounds when I'm plowing in 4X4 and now it squeeks in 2WD sometimes. Sounds like I have a U-joint problem. There is this really really loud clicking sound and squeeking from the front end in 4 wheel drive. I've been hearing it for about 2 months now. I thought maybe I could wait till next fall to get it fixed cuz I won't need 4x4 over the summer. Maybe I should get that fixed asap.

If I were you I would just plow with it, unless you can get someone to cover for you.

Good luck. Im in Buffalo...we have about a 1/2 inch that has stuck to pavement now. Hopefully I won't have to plow cuz my plow isn't even on the truck and its almost 4 am. Probably won't have to do drives, but one lot I have has 1 inch trigger.

9. duff daddy

duff daddy Senior Member

if its an axle u-joint and you keep it in 2wd its still gonna spin but not have alot of pressure on the joint, but if it is still that bad you could do serious damage to the knuckle, shaft and yolk so its up to you, and to quote a great movie ... " is the juice worth the squeeze"

10. DSLL

DSLL Senior Member

Mine was squeaking in 4wd too. Decided to replace u-joints. When you get around to doing it. Take the Drive shaft out, go buy some u-joints, you will need three. Then take everything down to a place called Fleet Pride on Walden. They will replace the non serviceable joint between the two u-joints on the transfer case side( i'm not sure what it's called, but if you look you will know what i'm talking about) Mine was all worn out. Took everything to Fleet Pride about two hours later had it ready to go, u-joints installed and all, they even painted it. All for $95 well worth it imo.

11. FTGUprprtyMaint

FTGUprprtyMaint Member

yea i use them for my front shaft but they only got me for $48 at the one in Rochester near the airport. That stuff is all fine on my truck its the other 2 joints right on the axle. I ended up going out this morning but no drive ways, just had to check the lots i do and only one needed it. had no problems and now she can rest til monday when it goes in for service.

12. Green Grass

Green Grass PlowSite Fanatic

Why didn't you just fix it? Only takes like 2-3 hours then you would have know that you have a re labile truck.

13. FTGUprprtyMaint

FTGUprprtyMaint Member

i don't have anywhere to pull motor mounts let alone it was in the winter and good luck working in low teens temperature wise...

14. Green Grass

Green Grass PlowSite Fanatic

what does motor mounts have to do with axle joints?

15. ServiceOnSite

ServiceOnSite Senior Member

im guessing that he needs motor mounts as well???:cry:

16. FTGUprprtyMaint

FTGUprprtyMaint Member

had to pull the motor mounts to get to the oil pan that needed to be replaced