1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Huge Storm For Chicago Area????

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by plowzilla, Feb 22, 2007.

1. plowzilla

plowzilla Senior Member

We are expecting some snow here in the northern half of Illinois this weekend. They cannot forecast a snowfall total yet because some might come as freezing rain. They are saying 1 1/2 inches of precipitation. That could be a big snow amount. Anybody hear anything else?
  2. Snowbrdr360

Snowbrdr360 Senior Member

Calling for a major snow storm here in southeast Wisconsin, guess the new Duramax is going to get a workout this weekend!

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

I was called and told to load the salt because we will be using it.

Sleet,Ice,Snow they are calling for it all. Depending on temp will depend on what you get. Some all 3.

Don't ya love late winter storms up here?
  4. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Our guy in NWPA local station said we would be spared from any significant snows this weekend, but get all the rain and ice. Only if that jet stream would drop another 200 miles we would be sitting pretty. Although, it would be nice if the piles of solid ice would melt away, those kinda hurt sometimes. But yeah, his map showed heavy snows for lower to mid-Mich. and that whole area.:cry:
  5. nick858

nick858 Senior Member
    from Iowa

Central Iowa is in the 8-12 inch range, and southern is 4-8. Doesnt sound like a lot to you eastern boys, but that is a huge storm for us. Bring it on, what a great way to end the season getting to plow for 3 days straight.payup
  6. AlwaysGreener

AlwaysGreener Senior Member

I just heard 1-3 inches..But last night they were saying 5-11 inches I'm not sure they even know what is going to happen.:dizzy: Just be ready..
  7. diehrd

diehrd Senior Member
    from NY

Every inch of rain = a foot of snow :) so if there saying 1.5 inches of precip that is a possible 18" storm
  8. zman9119

zman9119 Member

Typically that is true, but you have to look at many more variables to be able to guess the correct ratio.Temperature, dew point, and wind all change the ratio of liquid precip to snow. This ratio will show in the type of snow that we will receive too. Fluffy snow has a lower ration (ie. 0.5:10) while lake-effect snow can have extremely high ratios (ie. 1:40)

1" of rain at 30F can equal 10" of snow or
    1" of rain at 20F can equal 15" of snow or
    1" of rain at 10F can equal 20" of snow

Too many variables to be able to tell for sure.
  9. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Few years back in Rhode Island a Nor'Easter dumped 20" of snow that had a liquid equivalent of 4-5". :eek: Could you imagine plowing that crap?

They're still all over the place for us, snow, sleet, freezing rain and rain. They don't have a clue what's going to happen yet.

On edit, just looked at the forecast discussion and they are leaning towards all snow, potentially upwards of 8". There's some things that might drop this down--dry slots and a bunch of other crap that I don't completely understand. Better mount a couple more plows, glad I got that 50 tons of salt this AM.
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2007
  10. The mayor

The mayor Senior Member

It is friday and I already had one customer call and wonder when I will be showing up. :dizzy: The snow shouldn't be here for about 24 hours. I told him I don't have a clue. It is sunny right now. I picked up this guy this year. He said he didn't like the other plow guy and got rid of him.....I think it was the other way around.
  11. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

They're saying my area is supposed to get 15-18" through Sunday night.....

The thing that's going to be the worst of it all, is that it's drug out over 3 days, so I'll have to get the commercials open in the morning, keep them open, get them all open again Sunday morning, keep them all open, then get everything plowed out before Monday morning.

Sounds like about 80 hours of work in the next 72 hours.....
  12. AlwaysGreener

I hate to say this I hope it misses all my routes :D I'm done with cold and snow I want spring..
  13. bucky

bucky Junior Member
    from n w wi

Just waiting to see if it's all talk and no snow.
  14. LMG Masonry Inc

LMG Masonry Inc Member

Hope so the last one 2/12 & 2/13 had 32 hrs straight plus clean up after.payup
    Lets end this winter with a bang:gunsfiring:
  15. AlwaysGreener

I'm with you but we are tired of the customers complaining about there money situation.. paying to much for snow removal this year.Residential is not fun.
  16. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

I'm the exact opposite.

I do everything on monthly contract, and have customers complaining that they're paying for nothing, since we've only plowed a total of 5 times, some, with a 2" trigger, only once.

Now I suppose they're going to complain because we're not getting every inch that falls at the same time....

You try to explain you've got 5-6 accounts that you're driving around in circles keeping them open with 2 trucks, but if each one takes 45 minutes, and it's snowing 2" / hour, there's going to be 4 inches on the lot before you get to it again.
  17. LMG Masonry Inc

LMG Masonry Inc Member

Guess i'm lucky, sub my work, all commercial and never have to deal with the B.S.:dizzy:
    I do the masonry biz for my$elf and get more than enough B.S. over that, Winter is my off season and really not motivated enough to chase my own accounts, from what i read here from everyone i'm glad i don't:drinkup:
    Spend winter getting ready for summerpayup
  18. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

They are predicting 1/4" of Ice tonight, 1-3" Saturday, 5-8" Saturday night, then 3-6" Sunday. Should be rather interesting!
  19. Snowbrdr360

Snowbrdr360 Senior Member

upwars of 18 inches total are predicted here... starting with 3-5 tonight and 12-18 saturday evening thru sunday afternoon!!! Guess my new truck is going to get broken in this weekend!!
  20. ALarsh

ALarsh Senior Member

4-8" tonight
    6-10" tomorrow night
    4-6" Sunday

14-24" over the next 2 days... this should get real interesting. The truck is ready to go with a full tank of gas.:yow!: