1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Huge Draw on motor, Kills Engine

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by Alaskaforby4, Nov 21, 2012.

1. Alaskaforby4

Alaskaforby4 Member
    from Alaska

Ok I have an older RT2 Boss V on this Chevy 3500 w/350.
    When I raise the plow it puts a serious draw on the electrical system. So, I checked the battery. Load tested fine, got the high output alternator, installed it now I have massive charging. awesome...Raise plow, serious draw.....So I fabricate a battery box underneath the bed...this is gonna do it, link it all together, have some serious cranking power! Raise the plow and put in scoop and I can Kill the engine....wtf? So, I took all the grounds off and scrubbed them clean.....nothing changed? Lets here some ideas... Im thinking worn bushings in plow motor or the solenoid is toast?

PLow.jpg

2. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

Engine ground......Check/clean the engine to chasis ground.

3. MahonLawnCare

MahonLawnCare Senior Member
    from Ohio

or your motor is done for. that's what one of mine did on my 7.6 super.

4. Alaskaforby4

Alaskaforby4 Member
    from Alaska

Is there like a volt test I could do on it? See how much its drawing and what the normal range was?

5. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

You would need to test amps, not volts. The ammeter (or multimeter or gauge) gets connected in series with the load. You'd need one that can measure a whole lot of amps.

I would look at engine grounds first (unless those are the grounds you said you already scrubbed clean). Often failures are easily visible, like a broken or severely corroded cable.

6. MahonLawnCare

MahonLawnCare Senior Member
    from Ohio

In my experience I've never ever ever had a motor not function properly because of a bad ground. People always say "check the ground" it's never the ground. It's usually the electric motor. Bet you it's the motor for sure. Sounds like a motor drawing too many amps.

7. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

I had a hoist motor stall the engine on my 350 and thought the same as you. It turned out it was the engine ground. Nearest I can figure it was grounding itself through the hoist ground and throwing power to the hoist killed the engine. I replaced the engine ground and everything was good. It was the same symptoms...just saying,.... Check that ground first.

8. Alaskaforby4

Alaskaforby4 Member
    from Alaska

Ok thanks, I've cleaned and scrubbed all the connections and grounds and added another ground from engine to frame....I think it may have helped a tiny tiny bit. But still draws the engine to near stall.