1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Huge accident

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Rangerman, Jan 29, 2009.

1. Rangerman

Rangerman Senior Member

Ok i was out plowing yesterday morning when i noticed my oil tank on my pump hanging by one little bolt. Need less to say catching every bit of snow it could hold. So i straped it up with a bungy and finished the account i was at. Fearing a freeze up while driving i headed back to the office to c what i could do. I found the bolt head in the front had sheared off. I decided to use a self taping screw to a hold it up and get going again.(Snow is falling at close to 2" an hour) So im in a big hurry and wasnt thinking clearly. When i raised my plow it began to drop and would not stay up i realized i was peeing fluid all over the floor. So i found a close by snow bank and high chained it. What a surprise no new manifold at my dealers so back to the shop. I had another back-up plow at the shop but the lights and wiring didnt match my truck side so i switched all the wiring on the plows. Now to get to the questions what in the world did i do to cause the plow to leak and not function. i have lost the abilty to lift and to angle. I put the screw right next to the factory one. Is there any way to fix this or is it time for a new manifold like my dealer says.
    Sorry bout the length and random ness no sleep for two days. Thanks in advance - Justin!!:sleeping:

2. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

easy now. state plow make and model. throw truck type in just for kicks.

3. Rangerman

Rangerman Senior Member

That would help wouldnt it? It is an ultra mount 7'6" Straight blade on a 2006 Chevy Silverado 2500HD with the 6.0 gasser.

4. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

are the screws broken off in the valve? pull the tank off and look at the valve. if no, you can just buy new screws. if yes, are the screws out enough to get a vice grip on them? if no, your screwet.

5. Rangerman

Rangerman Senior Member

well i think we r beyond that point the hole where the new screw is. Is drilled in to a valve i beileve, so i guess my question would be could i just weld that back up on how does that work. Also do u know what that valve farthest away from the truck controls.

6. Rangerman

Rangerman Senior Member

Got her fixed now i just need the two long bolts to hold the electric motor on. Any suggestions on how to get that motor off the manifold? Of course one of the bolts broke off.

7. Dissociative

Dissociative 2000 Club Member

the 2 long bolts on the top of the motor will let it pop off an untramount..

how did you fix it?..pis man pics...

8. te snow

te snow Member

Correct me if I'm wrong guys but I'm pretty sure Rangerman can remove the bolts that retain the manifold to the plow construction and drop the resivoir and manifold assembly together without seperating the manifold from the resivoir, of corse at the same time the motor will come down with it so have someone give you a hand to lift the motor off. Be careful when removing the motor because if what I belive is the armature comes out it's a pain to put back together. If more room is needed to perform task remove the 2 cotterpins and pins that hold lift arm to rest of frame. Note: There is a plastic washer and metal washer on each pin.

9. Rangerman

Rangerman Senior Member

i had a machinst drill out and tap the whole i had drilled in to one of the valve chambers. He then put a set screw in with teflon tape. as far as the screws mounting the resivor i taped them out to 1/4-20 bolts and improved that a little.

10. Rangerman

Rangerman Senior Member

update

I went ahead and modified my other western as well i had to service it today and figured what the heck might as well do it right.xysport