1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

hubs

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Land Design, Dec 30, 2002.

1. Land Design

Land Design Member

do most of you plow with the automatic hubs in the automatic setting or the lock setting?

Land Design

2. SCAPEASAURUSREX

SCAPEASAURUSREX Senior Member
    from NJ

????? I have replaced the automatic hubs on my ford with Warn Manuals , and they stay locked in during storms / events.. Then that way I just shift the transfer case as I need it... As far as I know automatic hubs are just that , automatic, no locking in or out ??? If you have auto hubs you should just have to shift or puch the button on the dash ?? I may have my jargon off a bit ??? Maybe this is new technology your talkin about though ?:LOL

3. Rooster

Rooster Member
    from Kansas

As I was told by a Ford mechanic locally, for the Super Duty F series trucks, the auto/manual hub from Ford:

If your are stuck and your truck will NOT shift into 4wheel drive you can lock the hubs manually then the truck will shift into 4wheel drive, and hopefully allow you to pull yourself out of whatever you are in.

Rick

4. Land Design

Land Design Member

Therefore making the primary setting of the hubs in automatic for all applications...plowing/off road/etc....and manual for emergency use only..................right? (just checkin)

Land Design

5. Rooster

Rooster Member
    from Kansas

Land Design,

That was my thinking, seems like a good statement, not sure.

But on a side of caution I'll engage mine once in awhile any way.

Rick

6. You have got it right. The manual setting is only needed incase of a failure in the automatic four wheel drive system, ie. vacum leak, ect.
    Aside from a failure you should never need to use the manual setting. It is advisable to switch the hubs in and out of the manual setting at every oil change, as they have a tendency to seize up. (see thread on Hub Warning in this forum)

7. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

I made my front axle full time by replacing the hubs with drive slugs, I never worry about it, just shift from 2wd to 4loc or low loc

~Nate~