1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hubs won't stay locked

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by zman300, Feb 9, 2013.

1. zman300

zman300 Member

Have an 06 F250 with ESOF.

Today when plowing the hubs kept unlocking.
    That's never happened in the 4 years I've had this truck.

What's the most likely problem.

Should they be locked manually when plowing?

Thanks

2. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

Ya lock them manually when you are plowing. If they are unlocking you have a vacuum leak. Anytime I use my 4wd for long periods I manually lock them in. If I just need 4wd drive to back a trailer up or get out f a little mud I just turn the dial on the dash.

3. shovelracer

shovelracer Senior Member

Auto hubs are garbage. Plug the vacuum line and throw in a set of manual Warns. If nothing else they are easier to maintain. The factory ones get corroded and start jamming up if you don't pull them out and keep them clean.

4. zman300

zman300 Member

I was thinking with all the plowing I've done lately maybe knocked a vacuum line off or loose.

Yeah I always heard the auto hubs aren't good, but never had a problem with them until now.

Thanks for the replies.

5. dieselboy01

dieselboy01 Senior Member

My '00 has the vac hubs and they are junk! Last year the vacuum actuator went out, this year the hubs would lock/unlock whenever they wanted to. $260 for Warn Premiums from 4Wheel parts and we are trouble free. If you do go to manual hubs cap off the vac lines as far back as you can trace. This will help prevent a vac leak later on.

6. zman300

zman300 Member

Do you leave them locked most of the time in the winter.

7. dieselboy01

dieselboy01 Senior Member

I will lock them when I head out to plow depending on how bad the roads are, or once I'm on site. When I'm done plowing for the day I unlock them. If they don't need to be locked I unlock them, Why keep the front end turning if it doesn't need to be.

8. zman300

zman300 Member

On my old Ford trucks didn't lock them unless I thought I would need fwd.
    One night on the way to bowling I rounded a curve hit some ice went in the ditch.
    Yeah I was going too fast.
    Didn't have them locked, had to crawl around in the ditch to lock em.
    Got out ok.
    After that I locked them any time the roads were questionable.

9. mwalsh9152

mwalsh9152 Senior Member

05+ Fords do not have an aftermarket hub option, but yeah, like said, you likely have a vacuum leak or vacuum pump failing. Just lock em and youll be fine