1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hub seals

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by chas4x4, Oct 2, 2012.

1. chas4x4

chas4x4 Senior Member

Do you always have to change the hub seals when replacing the rotors on the late 90s f250 and f350 or will they last longer than 30 or 40 thousand miles:confused:

2. Holland

Holland Senior Member

Every time. Will come back and bit you in the a$$ if you dont. Seals are cheap, swap them out.

3. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

On a plow truck it's severe duty. I replace every seal I can when I do a job. I even replace the rear engine main oil seal on my trucks when I do a transmission. It's cheap insurance. My F-250 had a rear axle leak. The steel had rusted out on the seal assembly. I pulled the other side. Yep, it's rusted out too. It pays to just replace it and be safe.

4. DIRISHMAN

DIRISHMAN PlowSite Veteran

Well I have a 97 250HD 5.8 reg cab and Bed and was told I will have to replace both Hubs at 380.00 a piece for them YIKES:dizzy:

5. chas4x4

chas4x4 Senior Member

Well so far my hubs are ok just rotors so I will change the seals so I don't have to relpace the hubs yet

6. DIRISHMAN

Thats awsome just make sure you check the spindle shaft for pitting .

7. chas4x4

chas4x4 Senior Member

wheel studs

Anybody got any ideas the easiest way to get the wheel studs out and in when replacing the rotors on the f250hd doing this at home

8. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Air hammer

9. DIRISHMAN

To put them back in put threw back attach lug nut and tighten till spline on lug are flush

10. DIRISHMAN

Also sprayed them with PB blaster to loosen any rust and corrosion on the backside for ease of removal

11. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Yep. A little tip for install I use either pb or seafoam lub, and turn the lug nut backwards. Then impact them on

12. DIRISHMAN

Yep used to that at the parts store I worked at except we had a hydrolic press