1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hub bearing question.

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by 70monte, Apr 24, 2009.

1. 70monte

70monte Senior Member

My 98 K3500 4x4 has been pulling to one side lately when ever I used the brakes. Today while driving it, it was pulling bad to the right so I figured it had partially locked up. When I got it back home, it was smoking and everything was very hot to the touch.

I pulled the wheel off and the outer pad was ground down almost to metal so it had been dragging for awhile. When I bought it a year and a half ago, it had new brakes and I've only put about 5,000 miles on it since.

My question is this, do you think the hub assembly is ruined because of the heat? I have smelled brake material a few other times in the past so I'm assuming this is not the first time its gotten hot. How durable are these assemblies? Is there a way to tell if they are bad other than if they make noise?

I've already bought new brake lines, pads, rotors, and calipers which set me back quite a bit. I'm trying to decide what to do since I have to have the new rotors pressed on to the old hub assemblies. Thanks for any info.

Wayne

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

There wouldn't be a great deal of the heat transfered to the bearing assembly anyway as much of it gets rejected via the rotor before it has a chance to saturate the hub assembly. But, being on a 10 yr old truck I'd be inclined to replace it while I was in there. Not because of the extra heat generated by the dragging brake, but simply due to its age and wear and tear..

3. bgingras

bgingras Senior Member

No Brainer...new hub at the same time. The labor involved in replacing the rotor essentially replaces the hub anyway.

4. 70monte

70monte Senior Member

Thanks guys. Is pressing the hub and rotor together a job for specialized equipment? My factory helm service manual for 98 trucks does not address this repair so I'm unsure how to even take the two parts apart or put them back together. I do know that the lug nuts have to be removed but read that they shouldn't be pounded out with a hammer. Can someone give me a brief description on how to do this repair?

Can I use the hub assembly that the local auto parts stores carry or should I buy a specific brand? I want something that is going to last. Thanks.

Wayne

Last edited: Apr 25, 2009
  5. 70monte

70monte Senior Member

I ended up buying the Timkin brand hub assemblies at Autozone since they are a well known bearing manufacturer. They were $259 each but the guy gave me a 10% discount and they also came with new lug nuts as well as the ABS sensor.

Wayne

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Good brand choice, have always had good luck with Timken and do make an attempt to always specify them whenever possible.

To assemble the hub and rotor assembly you really should use a press to do the job correctly but it is possible to install the lug studs with a large hammer and drift if your cautious and take your time. A couple of strategically places wooden blocks is a must to support the assembly while your driving the studs in.

7. 70monte

70monte Senior Member

Thanks B&B, I will try and find someone who has a press to do it right. I don't want to mess anything up. I'm surprised they use this type of setup. Is it that much stronger? Brake rotors warp way to easy and it seems like a lot of work to have to replace them.

Wayne

8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Yes the inboard mounted rotors are actually a very good setup and is likely the reason they used it on the heavier trucks. A pain to change the rotors yes but fortunately the rotors seem to last longer (as long as you use good parts of course) than those on a 1/2 tonner or other light application.

9. 70monte

70monte Senior Member

Well, I bought Wagner lifetime warrenty Rotors. they were the best that the autoparts store offered. Should I be looking at another brand that would be better? I still have time to take them back if needed.

Wayne

10. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Wagner's just fine Wayne, good choice on your part. I've always found that they make good quality brake parts. wesport

11. 70monte

70monte Senior Member

Ok, thanks B&B. That is what I will use. I also bought Wagner brake pads. Thanks again.

Wayne