1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

hub /bearing/ diff problem need advice

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by mc1, Jan 4, 2010.

1. mc1

mc1 Senior Member

i have a 2008 f 550 4x4 with 54 k on the odometer when i am dring at highway speeds i hear a rumble it does not matter if i turm the wheel side to side when i unlock the hubs the noise dissapears. at slow speeds in 4 wheel drive the sound only comes from the front it almost sounds like a rubber on rubber squeking sound. i am nervous becuase there is alot of snow in the near future an d local shops dont understand the value of my one and only plow truck being down i have acess to tools and a lift if needed how would i go about diagnosing if the hub/bearing / diff is bad i operate this truck at or above the gvwr daily

2. Evanbrendel

Evanbrendel Senior Member

i dont know much about f 550s but if it is a solid axle front differential you mite check the u joints in the front end?

3. fireboy6413

fireboy6413 Senior Member

im having the same problem in my 04 250, does it sound like rubber flapping in your front tire

4. Too Stroked

Too Stroked Senior Member

Could be a U-Joint going out in the front axle. Does the sound have a repeat to it or does it just happen when you hit a bump? Does it happen when the wheels are straight or turned? Get the truck up in the air and turn each front wheel slowly. Listen for the sound. Then there's the tried and true rock each front wheel back and forth looking for play in the joints.

5. rb69

rb69 Member
    from Midwest

not sure about the newer ones, but my 99 250 has a needle bearing inside the hub assy that was dry & making some noise. Swapped them out & noise went away

6. TurfKing360

TurfKing360 Member

Ok, First U-Joints on front driveshaft could be bad, Second front hubs are bad and need to be replaced third the ball joints could be bad and if they weren't installed properly could have elongated the tapered hole and the joint is wobbling. If it the hubs don't use Ford OEM and steer clear of places like Napa, Auto zone, advance auto, etc. Use either the mile marker or superwinch but the best is warn they are easy 15-20 per hub

7. rb69

rb69 Member
    from Midwest

here is a link to a site showing the needle bearing replacement http://www.guzzle7pt3.com/maint.php.
    You should be able to take it out of 4wd & feel the outer u joints in the axle knuckles for slop, if not maybe getting dry- so try PB blaster & spray them down around the caps & see if the noise goes away, if so they need replaced

8. Newdude

Newdude Senior Member

Seeing you have access to a lift, I would get it up in the air and grab a trusty flashlight. Inspect every little but of the front: Links, bushings, u-joints, ball joints, etc.

When on the lift, bring the front tires to chest level. Then, grab the tire and try moving it left/right, then up/down.

Also, check anywhere on the front suspension parts for grease fittings. Any fittings that look very dry are the ones to pay attention to.