1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

HTV vs. MVP vs. Power V

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by PLM-1, Dec 31, 2004.

1. PLM-1

PLM-1 Senior Member

Alright guys help me choose a V plow. It will be going on a 2005 GMC 2500HD Ext Cab Duramax/Allison.

I have just about every brand's dealer nearby. But i narrowed it down to Sno-way, Western and Boss.

I need on that will give me the most ground clearance with the plow off. It needs to have good stacking ability. Easy to maintain/use.

When you respond please give specific examples if possible.

I asked about the same question a while back but i am more educated now and am looking for more information.

Thanks

2. OneBadDodge06

OneBadDodge06 Senior Member
    from Iowa

western ultra mount is the easiest and will give you the move ground clearance. The two reciever brackets have a pin on each side that you pull out and store, everything else is just as high as your frame rails. Plus I didn't have to chop the hell out of my front air dam to get it to work. :eek:

3. PLM-1

PLM-1 Senior Member

That is one plus to the Western...how does that mount compare to the others. Significant? I see a few trucks around with plow mounts that look like they would hit a curb if they pulled up too far...I can't have that!

4. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

Besides the mounting system, which is one of the easiest in my opinion, the Western has a trip edge which is far superior to the full moldboard designs of the snow-way and boss v-plows. Westerns also have the dual action angle cylinders with helps with back-dragging.

5. PLM-1

PLM-1 Senior Member

Thanks for your input. That was one of the feature that i did like about the Western also. Seem easier on the truck as well.

Recap:
    Western - 3
    Sno-Way - 0
    Boss - 0

Anybody else?

6. SnowMatt13

SnowMatt13 PlowSite.com Addict

Western!!

Ultra-mount system will allow you to remove most of it to get the best ground clearance.
    I personally have used western plows since I started plowing and have not seen or experienced a problem that would have me buy anything else

7. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

Western!
    Same reasons as above.
    Boss mount=too low
    Snoway mount= not as low, but ugly IMO. I hear very little about snoway V's, so i can't really comment on them.

8. ToolMaker

ToolMaker Member

I don't know anything about the sno-way , and I'm not going to bad mouth the Western they are good plows ,and with the horns off the mount is higher than my Boss . With that said , on a Chevy with the Diesel they set low anyway a guy around here has hung up his truck on the mount more than once with a Western ultramount ,that has never happen to me the a Boss V Ford combo.

I like the cylinder lift it doesn't bounce going down the road ,plus the plow is fast and the pump is out of the weather.

The full trip has not been a problem for me at all.

The Smart-hitch and smart-cylinders work great.

I also have the hand held controller and it is well thought out , it does not have any modes that I hear can be a real pain .

Just my two cents . Steve

9. lawn king

lawn king PlowSite.com Addict

plow choice

I think you will find snoway to be the highest stacking as threre is no lift chain, you will also have the advantage of down pressure for power scraping and clean up. Plow on.

10. MWeaver

MWeaver Junior Member

I have owned both the Western MVP and currently the Snoway HTV. The snoway is an overall better plow in my opinion. The snoway backdrags a lot better, has a stainless steel moldboard which will not rust and snow will not stick to it, and the plow is lighter weight so it saves some wear and tear on my truck. As far as clearance and stacking ability, they are about the same in my opinion. I do a lot of residential drives so backdraging is the most important factor for me and there is no comparison when you get a deep, wet heavy snow. The downpressure system works great.

11. PLM-1

PLM-1 Senior Member

So the mounts hang off the bottom of the truck about the same? That is one of my main concerns. I like the fact that you have had both and can compare the two from you own experience.

12. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

My 98 with the MVP unimount would drag on curbs. for the 04 with D/A Ex cab 300 C&C I was looking at the MVP, ultra 9' pro plus ultra but ultimately I went with an 810 from blizzard. Hands down the best and fastest plow I have ever owned. Mount is more than high enough and I out plow the mvp 2-1. Case in point a lot that took 45 minutes with the MVP now takes m 20 min. I plow more snow this year with 3 trucks than I did with 4 trucks last year. If I had 2 810's I could do my entire clitle with 2 trucks. Skip the toy plows, get smart get wide, get the go go gadget plow
    Dino

13. PLM-1

PLM-1 Senior Member

i really like the blizzard plow except i would like to V plow driveways. How does your truck handle the Blizzard? No weight problems? Any GM dealer problems? Thanks for the help!

14. grubenator

grubenator Junior Member
    from wi,mn

boss vplow

hey there guys well i went with the boss vplow 8'2" and love it i also have a 05 gmc extcab with 6.0 and it works awsome just drive up plug in turn the locks use the smart hitch and its on. it also has awsome lighting, and the locking cylinders work great for back dragging, my dad is a gmc truck manager and all of his comercial accounts guys that buy new trucks are going with the boss vplow, and the pump is out of the weather no chain hanging off ur truck, well there my 2 cents

15. PLM-1

PLM-1 Senior Member

is there a way that you can take a pic of your truck with the plow on it and plow off of it so i can see the mount on the truck??? i would appreciate it!

16. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

Boss is the way to go. My truck doesn't see any off roading so the mount hanging down a little is no big deal to me.

17. plowking35

from SE CT

I have 3 turns on the t bars and timbrens. No issues with weight at all. If you can find your way over to the other snow site I have pics there. I would have to take some more pics to show the mount alone. I dont mis the v at all for opening drives, unless you are plowing 12"+ at a time. Plow mounts as fast as the boss and faster than an ultra. Scrapes and backblades great too.
    Dino

18. plowking35

from SE CT

white truck on right

together2.jpg

19. plowking35

from SE CT

I still run 2 mvps, but the 810 waxes all

dinoblzd1.jpg

dinoblzd2.jpg