1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

HTS on 2500 HD - Bad move?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Zrxpilot, Jan 27, 2012.

1. Zrxpilot

Zrxpilot Member

Moved out to the country to 2, 800' driveways (mine and father in-laws). Needed a plow and couldnt justify the cost of a brand new one. Got tired of looking (started looking late in the season) and settled on a 2 year old HTS in very good shape. Needed something 7-6 to get in the garage easy.

Have an 05 2500 HD that is more of a pull truck than a plow truck. Was an HTS a bad choice on a heavy 3/4 ton? I have yet to see anyone hang an HTS on a 3/4 ton. (I know what an HTS is for).

My thoughts were the lightweight would make it easy for my wife to hook up when I wasnt home and the lightweight would be easy on the truck. Plow doesnt seem that much weaker than the new middleweight sitting next to it. Maybe the plow sheetmetal a little thinner and couple less gussets. I dont know. Just my thought here.

Got to run it once this year. Works friggn great. Dont have a lot of experince with other plows but cant imagine what a heavier plow would do for me that that this one doesnt. Wasnt that much snow tho either. 4" of wet stuff.

Say this turns out to be a bad idea for whatever reason. Can I not just sell/trade the HTS plow assembly leaving the mount and wiring as is? IE would a middleweight simply hook right up to my existing mounts and wiring?

Thanks in advance.

Pilot

2. mdpsci1

mdpsci1 Junior Member

not much plow for that much truck. It does cover what you need it to do though. If you went bigger, the answer is no, your mount and wiring wouldn't just hook up. Part of the weight savings in the HTS is in the mount set up.

3. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

that's incorrect. the HTS is an Ultramount, so you could purchase a heavier ultramount plow in the future and use your current mount, wiring and control. The RECEIVERS are different, so when you purchase the new plow next year, or whenever, you would just have them deduct the mount, wiring and control, but not the receivers.
    NOTE: The other difference between the HTS and PREVIOUS Western straight blades would be the wiring. The HTS is multiplex (same as Wide-out and MVP+). But Western has just changed the rest of the straight plows to multiplex in recent months. (they call it Fleet Flex). So, let's say you end up buying a poly pro next year, you would want to make sure it's not old stock non-multiplex.

Neal Redding
    parts mgr, Truck Equipment Inc, Des Moines IA

4. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

I don't see anything wrong with it as long as you aren't plowing a big route. The only downside would be if you hit something hard, the plow may not be designed to handle the weight of a 3/4 ton truck. That being said I can't imagine your truck weighing that much more than a half ton if yours isn't a diesel.

On a side note I don't think having a heavier bigger plow would to a lot more for you than the hts would. Especially if you want to stay at 7.5'. If you are happy with it I would keep it.

5. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

I agree. It might be a little light for your truck, but if you are not doing really heavy plowing with it and are careful, it will do a fine job for you for many years.

6. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

the HTS is what we call a hobby plow but sounds like it's perfect for you. As for being easy to mount, I don't agree so much because it has only one stand and they sometimes tip a bit and can be hard to hook up to whereas all other late model Western's have the ultra-mount which has two stands and two hooks so it will sit level and takes less effort to pull up one mount at a time. As for the wiring, they are the compatible with other plows. It is true that you have multiplex but if you decided to upgrade to an old style straight blade without multiplex it is an easy fix. Yo have to put in a power relay, a new power cable and replace the control harness. Now you have two plugs at the grill but with the old generation non-multiplex unit you would have three cables. Multiplex has a headlight plug (same as others) and a combined control & power plug. Old style three plug systems have the universal headlight plug, a seperate control plug and a simple switched power plug. But I agree with the above statement. If the plow is working for you why mess with it. You are not doing comercial work so who cares if it's a small plow for a big truck.

7. Zrxpilot

Zrxpilot Member

Thanks so much for your replys. Yeah I found the single kickstand to be an issue getting the thing on and off. Mine wont just drive out on smooth concrete. Have a breaker bar handy now. No biggie.

First time I tried to hook it up I had to unhook the ram to get it on.There was no way this thing was going to drive in. The plow was unhooked at another location (when I had it installed) and loaded in the back of the truck to be hauled home. Well...apparently the difference in elevation was enough to cause me a headache getting it all lined up. Now hooking and unhooking using the same location (flat garage floor) is a piece of cake. Not exactly sure if I was explaining that right. Makes no nevermind. I do like the plow. Thinking I might add shoes to it. Package is cheap enough.

Thanks again