1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

HT with plow shoes

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by cycleman, Feb 9, 2011.

1. cycleman

cycleman Junior Member

I purchased the new HT series and had them install the 1//2 inch cutting edge AND plow shoes. I need the plow shoes for a rough,long, hilly dirt drive I plow. The majority of my plowing is on blacktop. I have read that you can wear down the base angle and cutting edge to within an inch of the spring mounts BUT this will NOT work with the HT with the shoe mounts as they are mounted under the base angle and the shoes will make the blade too high. At his time I have worn down the cutting edge to be even with the base angle. The shoes make the cutting edge just level with the ground WITHOUT any adjusting washers. If I were to wear down the cutting edge and base angle say another 3 inches (which there is plenty of steel to do), with the shoes on the blade will be 3 inches above the ground. That's a lot of snow left behind! It seems I have to keep the shoes on and wear them out or wear down the cutting edge and angle and hope I stop before putting on the shoes will leave the blade too high. I really like plowing without the shoes since it really scraps well, but because of the dirt driveway I need the option of the shoes. I hope to attach picture showing the shoe on without any washer adjustments. Any suggestions to have both the option of wearing down cutting edge and have plow shoes?

2. JohnMeyer

JohnMeyer Member

I would use the washers to raise the cutting edge about 1/4" above the blacktop and they will assist in keeping the plow from cutting in to the gravel that you plow. I wouldn't worry about wearing out the shoes, they generally last a few years unless you do commercial plowing. We had a Western plow bought new in 1968, it was on 3 trucks over 40 years and is still going with a different owner. It may have had 2 sets of shoes but only 1 cutting edge.
  3. cycleman

cycleman Junior Member

That is my problem. Most of my plowing is commercial development that is blacktopped and they want it scrapped down. To best do that I take off the shoes, BUT then in heavy snow I am called on to do some dirt drives. If I wear the blade down to much more the shoes will lift the blade up too much. I do not understand why Fisher did not mount the sleeves on the top of the trip edge, like they have done in the past and on their other plows. That would solve the problem.
  4. capspackle

capspackle Junior Member
    from NJ

Cycleman, looking at the picture you posted, take that shoe mount off
    and turn it over, mount it to the top of the base angel and see if that helps.
  5. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

He can't do that as it's angled to be mounted where it is. It would be at a toe out angle if mounted from the top....it would trip like crazy.

With that being said, shoes are an unnecessary item. PERIOD. I had the same disillusion when I came back into the game some time ago....your wasting your time, money, and energy to think otherwise. I too have several hilly, curvy, dirt roads that some would classify as being less then maintained.