1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

HT vs SD thoughts

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by ned, Aug 10, 2012.

1. ned

ned Junior Member
    from nh

time to replace the 20 yr old fisher. Have been looking at the HT series vs the Sd series for my K1500. any thoughts, comments, suggestions, problems would be appreciated. Fishers site recommends the HT.
    thanks

2. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

SD all the way. It's a better plow and it really doesn't weigh that much more. Besides if you do anything more than your own driveway and maybe mom and dads place, you're going to want the SD.

3. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

I agree 100%

4. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

Sold/installed both,i always push the SD.I bleed Fisher yellow but the jack system on the HT is a joke.The SD is a little more $ and a litlle heavier(not much) and 10 times the plow,you won't regret it

5. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

What year is the Chevy? What are you doing for plowing? How much backdragging?

6. ned

ned Junior Member
    from nh

it's 2008 gmc K1500 extra cab. Two dealers will sell me the sd as cash and carry andinstall it myself but won't warrant the product We avg between 11'-13' of snow a winter most of the the driveway are 100'+ long.

7. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Will the install/warranty the HT? How many driveways are you plowing? Do you have any other brand options supported locally?

8. ned

ned Junior Member
    from nh

right now about ten, a lot of them are dirt. They will warrant the Ht because that's what fisher recommend for the ext. cab,.very little if any back dragging. I like the fisher it's what I know last one lasted over 20 yrs. I've seen one Ht where a guy caught a boulder on the edge of the driveway and bent the plow..

9. Stik208

Stik208 PlowSite.com Addict

I think a "boulder" would bend just about any plow.

10. ned

ned Junior Member
    from nh

I agree. Boulder may not have been the right word. I also have no idea of how fast he was going. I was surprised at how much it bent because of lack of bracing.. The whole left side of the plow blade torqued.. If it had been say an Sd , based up upon the experience with the plow I have now,. It wouldn't have happened.

11. brad96z28

A ton of the ht I have seen for sale used are bent and twisted!

12. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

`

Fisher will warranty the plow :nod: they just will not warranty the installation nor take the liability for damages to the truck related to the installation/use of the plow. The dealers have no choice as to warranty on the unit's manufacturing flaws, but you might have to get the factory involved.

The dealers should NOT install an SD on your truck as it exceeds the FVMSSA standards for weight/balance and they do not want included in any legal actions that might arise from installing a heavier plow then federal regulations allow on your vehicle.

13. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

I agree 100%, the SD is a lot more rugged than the HT.

I would recommend the HD for you or the SD. I think you 1500 will handle a 7.5' HD fine.

14. brad96z28

a 1500 with coil springs? I would not think of putting an hd on it. I think I have a nice sd plow coming in I would install it on that truck no problem.

15. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

This conversation is no place for logic, experience, or even facts.

"I think" is good enough for most people

16. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

LOL! Your right,i'm clueless:dizzy:

In all seriousness i wouldn't sweat the 73# difference between the HT and SD,as a dealer i understand why we are supposed to tell people no here but each season as i see the junk roll in for repairs with V plows and HD plows these vehicles have no business on the road let alone carry these plows.
    This truck will handle a SD with no problems,the dealer may not install it but he WILL warranty it for factory defects.Is it legal by federal standards?No,but neither are a good chunk of vehicles you see everyday(rusted,overloaded) this is a perfect case were commonsense will take you a long way,I think,LOL!

17. ned

ned Junior Member
    from nh

I'm going with an SD.I actually think my old plow would be comparable to an HD today. I've found a couple of dealers who will sell me an SD cash & carry. thanks for all the input.

18. mercer_me

Yes, I know a lot of people that put 7.5' HDs on GM 1500s. Most of the 1/2 tons around hear have 7.5' HDs on them and they apear to handle them fine.

19. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

HDs on a GMT900 half ton?

20. mercer_me

Yes, I have lived in Maine my whole life and that seams to be one of the most common plow/truck combinations in the state.