1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

HT Series not working

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by Smokie, Nov 30, 2013.

1. Smokie

Smokie Junior Member
    from Mass

MY Fisher HT series has decided to not work this season.
    I installed it myself a few years ago and have not had an ounce of trouble with it.
    Now, I connect everything and nothing works. No light on the controller, and it won't turn on, and no head lights and the directionals on the head unit do not work.
    Details:
    2001 Chevy 1500
    HT Series
    Fish Stick controller.

What I have tried already:
    Removed, cleaned and reconnected the battery connectors.
    Looked around and could not find any chafed wires anywhere, and nothing unplugged. Well, actually. While it was stored, the rig leaned forward and got some water in it that froze, and that block of ice pulled one of the solenoid wires off, but probably when I was in there trying to get the ice out.
    Took apart the fish stick controller and checked for continuity on all four wires. No problem there.
    Checked the fuses in the head unit, they were good and had power on both sides.
    Checked the fuses under the hood. The two 10 amp fuses were good, but had no power to them.
    The red power wire (from the fish stick harness) is connected to a live 12v source that is on when the truck is on.
    The truck has no blown fuses that I can find. Not under the hood or on the cabin fuse box.
    The plugs do seem loose, but I don't know if that is the problem.
    Can anyone tell me where to look next?
    Everything seems to be in place and I do not feel like replacing both modules and the fish stick in order to troubleshoot. Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2013
  2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

the 2 fuses the are under the hood for the plow need to have pwr they are for the turn and the iso module. they get pwr from the pos side of battery. so I would start there, fyi fisherplows.com library,,,,,straight blades,,,,,hts,,,,,,mechanic schematic,,,,,page 32, 33 http://library.fisherplows.com/publications.asp?cat=36

3. Smokie

Smokie Junior Member
    from Mass

Excellent, that must be the problem. I thought they should have power but the way the wiring is bundled, I couldn't follow it. I will check there hopefully today. Thanks for the reply.

Brian

4. Smokie

Smokie Junior Member
    from Mass

Dieselss,
    Thanks. I think that was the problem. Power at one end of the wire and not the other. That wire is stamped "12V". At every stamp, there is a greenish dust. Corrosion, some spots worse than others. I found a spot that was corroded through, cut crimped and solder, and I had on both sides, but not both ends of the wire. I found another spot that looked pretty bad, and it pulled apart when I pulled it out of the loom to test. Fixed that and still do not have power at both ends. It is only the one red wire in the loom that looks to have trouble. I am going to replace the entire wire end to end, and I'll post up a picture or two to hopefully help others that may have a similar issue. Thanks again.

Brian

5. dieselss

Oh man that's not good at all. That main pwr wire feeds the 2 fuses. So you can replace it up to the 2 fuses just make sure you hook the 2 fuses to the new pwr source.

6. Smokie

Smokie Junior Member
    from Mass

All set. Thanks Dieselss.
    I tried to pull a new wire through the conduit, but it is taped with the other wires in several spots, and it kept breaking when I tugged. So, I just ran a new wire along side and taped it all together. Now it works fine. I can't believe that it even worked last year. There were 3 breaks in the wire that I found. There may be even more.
    For anyone that has a similar issue. Red power cable that gets hooked to the battery, also has a smaller wire (14ga) paired with it. That wire goes to a square 4 pin connector. The other side of that connector has about 8' of wire before it reaches another square 4 pin connector. This is where that red wire was. Just look for green dust/corrosion about every two inches in the bundle. You can see it through the woven sleeve.
    I attached a couple of pictures of the bad wire.

IMG_0007.jpg

IMG_0008.jpg

7. dieselss

Kinda looks like someone probed the wire tho. Test light maybe?

8. Smokie

Smokie Junior Member
    from Mass

Nope. Every break was where the wire was stamped. At just about every spot that was stamped "12V", it had some green dust on it. In several of the spots it was swelled up from the corrosion and in a few, they were rotted all the way through. I only found those spots after cutting open the weave at the green spots. In the picture above that shows the section of wire, you can see 12V in 3 spots. The first has a small dot of green, the second you can see is swelled up a little and the third is broken at the letters. That one I never even cut open the weave. It broke when I pulled on the wire. You can see the green through the weave in the picture that I just attached. Unfortunately it is a little blurry, and I already taped up everything, so can't get a better one. But this green dust is every couple of inches for that whole bundle of wire and only that bundle.

IMG_0010.jpg

9. dieselss

Ok. That's unreal. Well glad u got it fixed.

10. Smokie

Smokie Junior Member
    from Mass

Yeah it was kind of odd. Someone wasn't watching the branding iron on that wire. But yes, I got it fixed without tearing every piece of wire out of the truck. Thanks for that. I hate shoveling, so the plow just has to work.

11. dieselss

Good deal.....