1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

HT Plow Failed me Today

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by Spikeo, Jan 18, 2010.

1. Spikeo

Spikeo Junior Member

I was plowing today and my HT plow would not go up. Lucky that I was plowing my yard. The bottom pin that was attaching the up and down piston to the plow frame had fallen out. The cotter pin that holds pin had broke thus the pin fell out. "Fisher item #17"in their diagram for Headgear and A-Frame Components."Fisher Pt# 69666 2 Pin Kit"

I pulled it in to my garage to fix it. The piston was fully retracted so I had to jack up the frame and used a piece of coat hanger attaching it to the piston and frame so when I lowered the jack it pulled the piston down enough so I could get the pin back into the frame and through the piston.

I have used the plow a half dozen times, and If I had been on the road I would have been screwed.

Examining the pin I can see that this could be a problem down the road. The hole for the cotter pin is maybe an 1/8 of and inch from the end of the pin. The hole already shows wear and I'm concerned that at some point it might wear through the end of the pin. So I would check your plows and you might want to get the biggest cotter pin that will fit and replace the factory one.
  2. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Why not just get a bolt to go through there and double nut it?
  3. Spikeo

Spikeo Junior Member

Sounds like a good idea. I may just do that.