1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

$/Hr rate for sanding?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Makndust, Oct 3, 2004.

1. Makndust

Makndust Senior Member

I'm thinking about getting a tailgate spreader for my pickup. No one else in town offers this service. What would be a fair hourly rate? Also, who makes a good quality tailgate spreader? I was looking at a Buyers brand that held 600 lbs rock salt and slides into the 2" receiver hitch. I have no way to handle bulk sand so it would be a bagged sand situation. How much sand do you use on a 200X200 foot parkinglot? Is a tailgate spreader enough for a lot that size? I would also be doing bank entries, etc.
    Thanks guys
  2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I don't offer sanding by the hour. I think the only way an hourly rate would work is if you're spreading someone else's material. I often get calls to sand small areas so I have a minimum charge that covers anything up to 1/2 yard (I have a Vbox on a one ton truck and buy bulk sand/salt by the yard) then charge per yard for anything over 1/2 yard. I'm not sure what bagged sand will cost, but I'd suggest charging twice what it cost you. Shouldn't be too hard to figure out how much you use if you're using bagged product. As an inducement, you might also want to consider a lesser charge if they will have you sand each time you plow.

For a 200'x200' lot (40,000 sq ft), the amount of sand will vary greatly depending on conditions - but you might want to figure about 400 - 500 pounds as an average.

Remember, sand will accumulate on the sides of the lot. Make sure you are not responsible for Spring cleanup or you have allowed for this in your pricing.
  3. avalancheplow

avalancheplow Senior Member

I spread bagged salt and don't charge by the hour. I charge by the bag or per time X amount. Sanding/Salting doesn't take that long so you wouldn't make much per hour.