1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hpop?? 2006 ford f350 diesel problem

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by mass1589, Dec 31, 2012.

1. mass1589

mass1589 Senior Member
    from mass

Heyy guys im looking at a diesel f350 2006. It has the 6.0l.... The guy is telln me it needs work, the hpop needs work?

I have no idea what that is or what tpe of money ide have to throw into it. The truck has 180k but is loaded fr options and priced cheap. It would only be used for a plow truck not a daily driver....

So has anyone dealt with the hpop and can explain it to me?

2. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

Depends.

There is a crapload of stuff that can go wrong with the system. Some easy and relatively cheap, others not so much.

You need to get more info.

3. alldayrj

alldayrj PlowSite.com Addict

How much is the truck? Hpop is high pressure oil pump. Its a lot of labor and usually you end up doing an egr delete and oil cooler while you're that deep in the motor. Could be a couple thou

4. mass1589

mass1589 Senior Member
    from mass

They are askin 6500

5. mass1589

mass1589 Senior Member
    from mass

Im now informed its the sts fitting in the hpop?

6. mnglocker

mnglocker Senior Member

You'll be into it for a couple grand of work. Do the HPOP, EGR Delete, and Bullet Proof Diesel Oil Cooler. While you've got the cab off, a set of Multi Layer Steel (MLS) head gaskets and ARP head studs would be in order as well.

The 6.0L's HPOP is very oil sensitive, it's important to keep on on oil and filter changes with top of the line products, or it'll need the same work this truck needs now.

7. mass1589

mass1589 Senior Member
    from mass

thanks for the response guys....by a couple grand worth of work are you guys thinking 2000 or 3000 or ???

8. mnglocker

mnglocker Senior Member

you'll have 1500-2000 in just the upgrade parts, I'm not sure what the HPOP cost.

9. mass1589

mass1589 Senior Member
    from mass

wow ..... i searched online and found some prices anywhere from 900- 2900 for the hpop repair. but this guy is telling me its the stc fitting inside the hpop. so maybe i dont need to replace the entire hpop and instead maybe just replace the stc fitting?

10. mnglocker

mnglocker Senior Member

No idea, I've never gotten that deep into the 6.0, I avoided the problems and bought a Dodge.

11. Spool it up

Spool it up Senior Member

12. fatheadon1

fatheadon1 Senior Member

[​IMG] I have been that far into a 6.0. I would first run a oasis report on the truck this will give you it service history of what's been done to the truck over its life time. If the report comes back that the truck has had problems I'd walk away if it clean buy the truck. The high pressure pump is 1000 bucks in parts if you do the work yourself this includes the ipr Sensor and STc fitting. You can youtube 6.0 stc fitting and there is videos showing what's involved. Its doable if you have Patients and a friend to give you a hand.

13. Spool it up

14. 07PSDCREW

07PSDCREW Senior Member

For 1200.00 I bought the Bullet proof diesel kit. It came with all items needed to replace the STC fitting with the new style connector. it also came with a new EGR cooler tube as I did not do a delete. I got a new OEM oil cooler with the kit too. I did the whole shebang in about 16-18 hours taking time to eat, go to store etc. Easy stuff to do on your own.

When you take out the STC fitting it will have a ton of play in it if it is leaking that bad. The new one is a screw in type that is installed using a jam nut and a jig to get the right meashurement.
    Also a word of advice, If you are not going to daily drive the 6.0.....Stay away from it. Worst thing for that engine is sitting as the turbo vanes rust up etc...Best thing for it is to drive it like you stole it. AKA, dont baby it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This last picture shows you the HPOP in back. The STC fitting is on the back of the pump.

[​IMG]

15. 07PSDCREW

07PSDCREW Senior Member

Fatheadon1 suggests an oasis report....If you supply the vin number, I can supply you with an Oasis report by email....courtesy of being a Ford Tech.:mechanic:

16. fatheadon1

fatheadon1 Senior Member

Ill add if you or anyone you know can weld you can buy to freeze out plugs weld them in the egr cooler then fill the plug with weld so it takes the heat and wam you just saved 250 bucks for an egr delete. An if you ever go threw a road side Emissions check your egr system is still there an you pass all the while its plugged and can't blow or leak

17. Spool it up

arp studz and all , thats some real sheet rite there . betcha it runs 14's or better. the mods are endless

18. 07PSDCREW

07PSDCREW Senior Member

No mods Spool it up, Just fixing Fords **** up

19. Spool it up

rodger that :mechanic:

20. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

I love the coozie 07PSDCREW!