1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How's those 6.7s doing??

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by SalNazzaro, Jan 29, 2013.

1. SalNazzaro

SalNazzaro Senior Member

I've been thinking of getting rid of my 6.4 for a new truck, I was leaning towards a GM w a duramax but realized all my stuff off my 08 can be swapped onto a new superduty, and plus I get A plan from Ford so that's a big plus. But I just wanted to hear how everyone likes there 6.7s, thanks!

2. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

love it. 5 ton of stone in the body on the 550 4 door 4 wheel drive, with a cat 272 skid steer on the tandem trailer and it pulls out into traffic like it is empty. 13-15 mpg empty, but only 7-9 mpg loaded like that.

only problem in 2 years and 36,000 miles is the front tires needed replacing at 20,000 because the front alignment was off from new.

3. SalNazzaro

SalNazzaro Senior Member

Awesome to hear, my cousin has a 550 and wants his 6.0 back said it doenst have alot of get up and go. I've heard though that the 550s are derated to only 300hp, I just want a new truck with warranty that I can rely on

4. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Traded my 011 with 45,000 trouble miles and 27,000 trouble free again on my 012.

5. SalNazzaro

SalNazzaro Senior Member

I've been hearing alot of good things about them and then horror stories as well. And tjctransport my cousin said the same thing that you can't tell if the trucks loaded or pm'ing anything that it drives the same weather it's empty or has 12k behind it

6. SalNazzaro

SalNazzaro Senior Member

I found one with 3.55 gears anyone got an opinion on that? I normally get 3.73s

7. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

no more 373's in SRW. I have E-locking 3.55 and have towed heavy loads with no problems

8. SalNazzaro

SalNazzaro Senior Member

Ok awesome, could sworn I saw window stickers w 3.73s in a srw

9. Raymond S.

Raymond S. Senior Member

Probably was a gas job you saw. I have the 3.55s on mine and so far so good. Noticed today that while towing my 16' enclosed, empty, at 60mph in tow mode (just trying out the towing feature) it tried to jump down into 5th gear. I know it was lugging the motor at 1500rpm but I'm anxious to get it on the highway w/ a load and see how she pulls in 6th. Are you guys pulling loads over the highway in 6th or 5th? My 6.2 I had to lock in 5th with a real heavy load on the highway but I wouldn't expect to have to w/ the 6.7.

10. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

At dealership they had one come in with broken crank and they dont know why The results havent been sent back why crank broke with less 5k on a 6.7
    A friend was telling me this that works there

11. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

trans stays in drive whether it is empty or going down the road at 38,000 lbs.

12. SalNazzaro

SalNazzaro Senior Member

I might just be holding onto my 6.4 to avoid 715/month payments!

13. Ultra Duty

Ultra Duty Member
    from NE OHIO

you can get the srw with 3.31 or 3.55 and yes the 450 and 550 trucks are derated to 330/600. We have been really pleased with our F350 w/ 3.31's has the elocker, only thing I don't like is that you have to remember to turn off the traction control when plowing. It also seems like they take a long time to warm up where they are blowing warm air in the cabin. Otherwise very pleased.

14. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Do the deletes and tune it and it'll make the 6.7's power seem like nothing.

The 6.7 has been great so far and I think Ford has a hit on their hands (in regards to stock reliability and power). But they are already at their limit as far as HP goes, many guys pushing near or at 500HP are breaking rods which is really too bad. Unless Ford has another version of this motor that will be released in the coming years?

15. LAB INC

LAB INC Senior Member

superduty

I am very happy with mine.... just bought a new 550 in the fall. Great trucks pulls my skid steer like its not even there. All and all very happy...

16. SalNazzaro

SalNazzaro Senior Member

Yea I'm going to delete and tune the 6.7 but I think I'm going to miss the 550rwhp my 6.4 has. The 6.7s put down about 430rwhp according to Innovatives numbers. I'm hoping it has a different feel though and no lag or anything

17. SalNazzaro

SalNazzaro Senior Member

Yea I'm going to delete and tune the 6.7 but I think I'm going to miss the 550rwhp my 6.4 has. The 6.7s put down about 430rwhp according to Innovatives numbers. I'm hoping it has a different feel though and no lag or anything

18. GSS LLC

GSS LLC Senior Member

had a customer come in the other day with a 2 year old 550, blown head gaskets, the truck hauls batteries around for a battery company with a dork driving it, so i can say with almost certainty, that it hadn't been beat on.

19. SalNazzaro

SalNazzaro Senior Member

That's no good!

20. Dodge Plow Pwr

Dodge Plow Pwr Senior Member

X2 My 2011 was a POS and traded for the '12 which they claimed is the 3rd generation 6.7. I am getting around 14mpg mixed use. HWY is close to 21 mpg empty, loaded with the 5er down to 9-11 depending on the road.