1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

hows the 6.6 duramax

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by the new boss 92, Jan 4, 2010.

1. the new boss 92

the new boss 92 2000 Club Member

i have been looking at this truck, but i havent heard a whole lot about the 6.6 duramax motors. it wont have any chips done to it just an exhaust maybe an intake, but for the most part it will stay stock and wont be driven a whole lot due to the fact that i will still have my 1500. what are your thoughts on this truck, any big downers about the motor?
  2. the new boss 92

put 2500 in the search up top and its the 7th one down on the page, the direct link isnt working for some reason! also from the looks it might have the plow prep to i havent looked into it to much though because i dont know about the motor.
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2010
  3. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

All GM trucks have the 6.6 Duramax except when you get up to Kodiak 5500's and above then you can run across a few 7.8 Duramax' s or CAT motors. I dont know exactly which one your looking at but Duramax's are good trucks.
  4. JustinD

JustinD Senior Member

I love mine!!!!!
  5. the new boss 92

08 lt1 package and its a z71, 28000 miles for 36995. do you guys have any problems with your or are they all around a good motor. i own a goverment motor now
  6. JustinD

JustinD Senior Member

08 has the LMM engine, awesome motor, though the DPF will cut down on the mileage, if you aren't worried about the warranty I would do a DPF delete and use a tuner of some sort to turn the DPF off, you will see a HUGE increase in mileage. Sounds like an awesome truck.
  7. ondagawood

ondagawood Senior Member

AMEN - X2 :nod:
  8. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

i dont think any 08's have the plow prep with the d-max /extended cab. nice truck the d-max is a great motor
    the price seems high though
  9. dmaxplowguy66

dmaxplowguy66 Junior Member

Love my 02 DMAX! 185,000 miles water pump at 145,000 ,wheel bearing last week and thats it. I would buy another in a heartbeat and am actually thinkin about another one this summer! Cant see the one your looking at but I would shoot for an 2006 model. Best motor and drivetrain. It has the LBZ code engine and 6speed auto. Your gonna get the better mpg out of the 06 as well. 01 and some 02's had injecter problems but thats about it really. and 04 to half 06 had LLY motors and have a overheating problem towing sometimes. I would'nt get a 07 or newer due to the frame brakeage problem were seeing on here?? oh and trust me you'll have a chip in that thing with in a year! lol I said the same thing when I first got mine! lol
  10. jomama45

jomama45 PlowSite.com Addict

I only have an older D-Max, so I don't have any info on that end. BUT, be carefull with Lenz. Prices are usually high & non-negotiable. I've bought from them once, & know of a few others that have as well. They're not the most professional IMO. Unfortunately, they buy almost every Diesel truck that comes into the auctions, which is why they have a huge selection, & no one else around here seems to have any.

Good Luck.
  11. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

I'm on my 6th and am currently looking for an LMM myself. As far as that goes, all brands currently use a DPF and its easily eliminated if it bothers you. I could have picked any truck(s) I wanted, and Dmax will always get my vote for #1.
  12. aeronutt

aeronutt Senior Member

I can't believe nobody has suggested you spend a year or two reading at www.dieselplace.com yet... You'll find more good info than you could ever hope for.

I have the 06 LBZ and really like it. I pull a heavy camper in the summer and plow with it in the winter. When I don't need it for "truck stuff", it sits in the driveway while I drive my sedan.

If I was looking at buying a truck mostly for plowing, planned to park it most of the time, and keeping the 1500 for being my "town truck", I wouldn't even consider a d-max. However, if you plan on pulling heavy trailers all over the country in the summer, there isn't a better truck on the market for that. Don't buy a diesel thinking you'll save money on gas either. The diesel (even with DPF delete and a tuner) won't save you money in the long run. It's claim to glory is pure horsepower and reliability to get the job done.
  13. ohiogreenworks

ohiogreenworks Senior Member

I have always been a cummins fan but I really really like our 03 dmax. I have also seen dmax pulling trucks with 1k+ horsepower and they run awesome. I do know that the new emissions sh*t they brought up in 07.5 really really hurts mileage on all the big 3 diesels. As was mentioned before the dpf delete is good. My old boss had an 08 6.4 powerstroke and it got 9-10mpg loaded to the hilt or unloaded with just me driving. Emissions = suckage
  14. the new boss 92

ok well ill keep looking.
  15. VPRacing

VPRacing Member

Just snapped the crank shaft on our 6.6 Duramax in a 03 Kodiak 4500. Dont have any idea how it happened but I have heard it happening before. Its a 2wd Automatic so its kinda hard to be abusive to the crank.

It pulls a 15k - 44ft gooseneck trailer daily. Plenty of oil, who knows what could have made it snap, maybe this was a motor assembled on Friday at 4pm. :)
  16. mjp2

mjp2 Junior Member

I love my DMax, ever since I drove it off the lot 9 years ago. If you own one, trust me, it won't be long before it's "stock" status starts to fade. These things are absolute beasts. When mines not towing or plowing, it likes to beat down tuners and even the occasional mustang. (yes....GT's includedwesport)
  17. the new boss 92

yea well i have alway put exhaust on my rigs so that will be the first thing to do, how ever the programmer might come in the long run, but i dont see it happening right after i buy one.i have always been a chevy fan and dont get me wrong the cummins are nice trucks to jsut not a strong believer in dodge. i have to keep my eye out for something special because im in need of a 3/4 ton for plowing and i really dont want another gasser but havent really looked at the gassers that much.
  18. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

Nothing bad to say here.. Love my Duramax. Plows better than my old gas version because the engines torque is just incredible.
  19. 02DURAMAX

02DURAMAX PlowSite.com Addict

I love my Duramax's!!!!! Not one problem with them ever!
  20. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

I cant really say anything good about Lenz, they wont negotiate and kinda insult you when it comes to dealing. I tried dealing a few times and they sucked.