1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How's that work?

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by theholycow, Feb 1, 2011.

1. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

What's this? Liquid de-icer dispenser?
    [​IMG]

I thought liquid de-icer is dispensed from individual nozzles, not a sheet-style dispenser. What's with these lines on the pavement, then? They're only there in the winter.
    [​IMG]

How do they do this? Wing plow with both ends lifted and angled way back so it doesn't overflow into the road again?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

Its Liquid calcium cloride. Also known as liquid salt. Its basically a pre treatment before a storm. Its also supposed to work in lower temps when salt wont work. And they most likely knocked back those banks with a grader. Just left the plow up, and shifted it over to move the banks back. They do it around here too.

3. theholycow

Which is liquid calcium chloride, the truck that looks like it dispenses a sheet of liquid or the lines on the pavement?

4. Jello1

Jello1 Senior Member

They do that hear in Pa too. They pre-treat ahead of expected storms. It works best when put down ahead of the storm from what i've heard. As for the bar i followed one the one day on the highway. It pours into the bottom tube and then dumps out the holes every so many inches or so.

5. Freebird

Freebird Member

The truck sprays using nozzle a stream of liquid calcium chloride. The rear of the truck is covered by a long rubber panel that is used to deflect the stream from spraying back on the cars following behind the trucks when they spray the highways at a high speed.
    The streaks you see are the liquid calcium, which is usually spread across the roads by the cars that follow behind which creates a better coating than the sheets of liquid which spray in a thinner amount.
    What you see along the edge is called benching. In the Northeast this is typically done with a wing truck running with the wing toe down and pushes back the snow so that there is more room for the next storm.

6. lawnboyri1

lawnboyri1 Junior Member

RIDOT only uses trucks to do the Interstates and major highways. Most likely done with a Mack Granite with wing plow(s). That picture looked like a part of the "canyons" on I-295 in Cranston or Smithfield

7. theholycow

The berm pictures are from I-395 in northern CT or southern MA.

8. Jelinek61

Jelinek61 Senior Member

The lines on the pavement are from the nozzles on the spray rig. They are a direct stream to get a higher volume at higher speeds. The lines are the same width apart as the spray nozzles. Heres some pics of what it looks like without the snow and how the lines get there.

Anti-icing-liquid.jpg

imagesCAOWZPQH.jpg

9. theholycow

[​IMG] That's exactly what I thought, but I was comparing to the truck that I photographed which looked like a sheet/curtain style dispenser (even seen the episode of How It's Made with frozen pizzas or candy bars?)...but user Freebird said the rubber thing was just a deflector, which also makes sense.

10. Jelinek61

Jelinek61 Senior Member

Yeah, some will put the rubber behind the nozzles to try and keep it off the cars behind them like freebird said. The one you took a picture of also has vertical nozzles (look at the two poles on each edge with hoses going to them) that he can turn on depending on the width of the roadway and the amount of chemical he wants to put down. Some places are using MagChloride(MgCl2) now which is much less reactive to metal and wont rust as bad as sodium chloride(NaCl) because Mg has one more electron so it is much less likely to gain/lose another one. Only problem is that its a lot more expensive.

11. exracer

exracer Junior Member
    from Ont.

yes this stuff is brutle on metal parts

12. abbottfarm

abbottfarm Senior Member
    from Maine

We do it up here, we run wings on all of our trucks, to "shelf" the banks back like that you leave the nose of the wing up to desired height, same on the tail of the wing and then raise up the wing post in the rear so the wing does not ride up as easy. When the banks are soft I run my front plow right along the bank, when it's hard you can do it with just the wing.