1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hows Plowing with a 2500 reg cab?

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by roadrnnr, Apr 5, 2007.

1. roadrnnr

roadrnnr Member

I am looking for a used 2003-2005 2500 and I want the regular cab with a short bed and Hemi.

I was wondering how plowing with a short bed works.

Also any other things I should look at before I buy?

Is there a way to tell from the vin plate if the plow package is on the truck. I imagine I won't be seeing any window stickers unless I buy from a private party.

Thanks

2. RODHALL

RODHALL Senior Member

plowing with a short bed gets in tight areas better.

there is no way to tell by the vin but 02-05 trucks have a sticker under the hood, that will show what options the truck was built with.

the bad the hemi trucks get the lighter drivetrain stuff (Transfer case, front springs, and diff) to the CTD trucks...

3. dRam2500CT

dRam2500CT Member
    from USA

You won't be able to find a 2500 short bed regular cab from any manufacturer I don't believe.

2500's only come in reg cab long beds or ext cab short/long beds or quad cab short/long beds.

A newer model 2500 reg cab short bed 4x4 with plow prep would be awesome, but there is no such thing.

Also - 1500s don't come with plow prep except for some chevy/gmc models I believe, but they're the long bed versions.

4. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

You are correct. No one builds a 3/4 ton short box regular cab truck

5. roadrnnr

roadrnnr Member

That's a Bummer. Oh well I still want the regualr cab so I gues the longer bed will have to do.

Maby dumb ? but what does CTD stand For?

Thanks,

6. dodgeguy99

dodgeguy99 Senior Member
    from mn

cummins turbo diesel

7. roadrnnr

roadrnnr Member

8. dodgeguy99

dodgeguy99 Senior Member
    from mn

you bet anytime :salute:

9. Frostysnow

Frostysnow Senior Member
    from oh

i bought a 2003 2500 hemi this year with a meyer plow. It did a real fine job. We didn't gfet much snow, except for one really big storm. I was in the truck for about 20hrs and didnt have any problems. Plenty of power. It does like to go through a lot of gas though. Also, the back end is really light do if yo do end up getting one make sure you put alot of ballastin the back

10. 03SuperCrew330

03SuperCrew330 Member

How much do you consider a lot???? :)

11. UglyTruck

UglyTruck Senior Member

I have a 2500 quad cab short bed with a diesel in it....I plowed once this year without ballast...it did fine

I plowed the rest of the time with a full pallet of Icemelt and a bunch of lead bricks in the back.
    (48 bags x 50# each + 40# for the pallet = 2440 pounds. plus an additional 850 pounds of lead bricks to make up for usage of Icemelt as the day progresses). that is a total of 3290 # at the beginning of the run to 2070 pounds at the end. a full run uses about 1/2 a pallet of Icemelt.

with this much ballast it did freekin awesome!!!

Personally, I say add at least as much ballast (above or behind the rear axle) as the weight of your plow and plowmount adds to the front of your truck.

12. 03SuperCrew330

03SuperCrew330 Member

I only have an 03 F150 so its light duty but with 400lbs in the rear traction was a joke, slight inclines were killing me.

Maybe I will load it up more, I have a 7.5ft Curtis 3000 on the front so its heavier than what I put in the bed.

13. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

i try and put about a thousand pounds in the back of my truck for traction, it does fine.