1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How's it done...?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Turf Commando, Feb 3, 2010.

1. Turf Commando

Turf Commando Senior Member

Driving while plow is completely up and covering the radiator ...?
    My blade stands 32'' tall and I can only have it up about 5-6'' (MAX) otherwise my radiator will overheart...
    It just baffles me how so many do this ....

2. erkoehler

erkoehler PlowSite Veteran

Depends on the truck.....straight or v-blade, trans cooler, outside truck, etc.

3. VPRacing

VPRacing Member

Snow deflectors work good, or angle it one way or the other. I've never had a problem, I can drive down the highway at 65 with the plow all the way up and in scoop (v-plow) with no problems keeping the motor cool.

Maybe it's the truck... :D

4. badabing1512

badabing1512 Senior Member

Its a ford, what more can i say, better get that defibulator ready

5. Turf Commando

Fords also. Not the issue of brand, but how do you maintain a cool radiator if it's being blocked completely.

6. Turf Commando

Usually it's strait blades, but seen a few V's higher then needs to be...

7. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

By having a completely and properly working cooling system in place for your needs.

Over-sized or HD radiator?
    New HD fan clutch?
    Trans cooler big enough for your truck?
    System flush with proper antifreeze solution?
    Proper thermostat?
    Proper oil in truck?
    Clean air filter?
    Proper spark plugs and gap?

If all the above is true/yes then no truck should have a problem over heating with the plow on and moving.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2010
  8. redskinsfan34

redskinsfan34 Senior Member

Might be as simple as your coolant is starting to break down a little. Possibly your truck is not completely "set up" for plowing (oversized trans cooler, extra springs, etc.).

9. Pushin 2 Please

Pushin 2 Please PlowSite Veteran

I always drive with the blade angled to the right no matter what speed and my temp gauge stays on the cool side.

10. PTSolutions

PTSolutions PlowSite.com Addict

when we had straight blades on the chevy's it was never an issue, OCCASIONALLY the tstat might get stuck, but the overheat may have happend 5 times in the last 5 years.

the vblade on my ford has never caused a problem, and i havent seen anything since putting the vblade on the 2500HD either.

we always transport at full height.

11. dieseld

dieseld Senior Member
    from 90210

No offense, but if the trucks in your signature line are having this problem, it could be because they are not really designed for snowplowing at all. Technology has come a long way since 1991. Most people you see driving at full raise are probably driving newer heavy duty trucks designed to do that.

12. loudredram

loudredram Member

your F150 only has a small 2 core rad try upgrading to a bigger 3 or 4 core rad it will help out with the cooling

13. lumps

lumps Senior Member

I've always had this problem on my Dodges as well. Around the city is usually alright, though not always. But at highway speeds, it's gotta be down or the heat will jump pretty good. I always figured it was because I had a 1/2 ton before, but it does it on my '03 3/4 ton as well, and that thing's got a trans cooler, oil cooler, and big radiator.

14. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I never have any problems with either my Ford or GMC. The Ford has a V blade and has never even heated up past the normal operating temp. My GMC has a tall 8ft straight blade with wings and a 6" metal snow deflector that stands up at an angle and its always all the way up and its never heated up either. I'm thinking some of the guys who are having a problem overheating might have issues with either a lack of preventative maintenance or need a bigger radiator. Just add an electric fan if it's a big problem.

15. show-n-go

show-n-go Senior Member

When i take my plow to my other job with me it's 46 miles of highway, I drive 65mph or 70mph with the blade all the way up and straight and never have an issue with anything heating up..

16. PlatinumService

PlatinumService Senior Member

i have a hard enough time getting the motor warm enough on my dmax i sometimes need the blade to cover the rad

17. kj330

kj330 Member

i have never seen my guage move while plowing. plow up straight doesnt matter 2000 ford f 250

18. Turf Commando

I really don't overheat, it's quite a ways off ....My coolant and everything is good (Radiator also), just have to keep the blade down enough to get proper air-flow....

Just was curious how new/older trucks keep cool .....
    A heavy duty radiator would work well, but I highly doubt most have one....

19. dieseld

dieseld Senior Member
    from 90210

Tell me about it.

20. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

Try turning the overdrive off. I had a Dodge that had that problem. I turned the OD off, and then the fan spins faster. Kept it a little cooler at least. The only time I had the problem was when I was on the highway.