1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Hows Fords New 5 Speed Auto?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Catskill Plowin, Feb 9, 2004.

1. I looked through the arcives and havent found any thing bad about the new 5 speed Auto?Are they that good?Thanks

2. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Too new to tell. Let use punish it a while and we will tell you. I hope it's better then their last transmissions offerings.

3. I dunno 'bout the full size trucks, but I've had a 5 speed auto in my last two rangers. It's not bed, better than a 4 spd. It's nice when it shifts it only drops a couple hundred rpm instead of like 500. It keeps the engine running right where the bulk of the power is.

4. boba

boba Senior Member

10,000 miles on F350 6.o psd no reverse! Dealer tells me Ford hot line tells them problem when truck used for plowing. After repairs Owner (me) should pay to have an auxillary transmission fan installed. Got to love it!!!!!!!!!!!

5. So the B.S. is starting.Boba are you the only driver? Thanks

6. boba

boba Senior Member

No, I'm not the only driver. However, the other driver has plowed and worked for me for 14 years. It is NOT an operator created problem.

Truck went by flat bed to the dealer i purchased it from. The other dealer, who has done a lot of my repair work, told me 2-3 weeks. I think that may end our business relationship.

7. Three weeks!Have they ever rebuilt the new 5 speed or are you the test case?Looks like rain this weekend, can't even make a buck!

8. boba

boba Senior Member

The dealer that has the truck is Marchese, in New Lebanon. He is predominantlly a truck dealer. I only had my trucks serviced at the other dealer because they are closer. That was the one that quoted 3 weeks.

9. boba

boba Senior Member

Just finished a phone conversation with the service manager. Ford requires the transmission to be broken down before they will authorize anything. Just a great time of year!!!!!!!!!!

10. boba

boba Senior Member

Ford is putting a new transmission in the truck. The original one had an improperly installed snap ring.

Thank goodness for no snow in the forecast.

11. Good news Boba. It seems like Fords got these trannys right. I've been on The DieselStop.com haven't found that many bad words. 55 this weekend.

12. crashz

crashz Senior Member

Boba - did you go to Johnson Ford? They screwed my friend over on service to his F250 and charged my father a fortune for chasing down a short in his 95 PSD.

13. Ggg6

Ggg6 Senior Member
    from IL

I have heard a lot of good feedback on the Torqshift trans. By far the people I know are towing rather heavy, and not so much plowing. I have heard the Torqshift tested as storng or stronger as the GM Allison, but I have seen a few of them break due to hot rodding. Glad to hear you are getting a new trans.