1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

howling noise near rear end

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by saynow, Nov 11, 2008.

1. saynow

saynow Junior Member

I have a howling noise coming from what sounds like the rear end. It happens when I'm traveling between 40 and 50 mph. It's noticeable when I'm on the accelerator all the way through 65mph. Took it to the shop and had the back of the pumpkin taken off and there was no noticeable wear. The teeth on the ring looked good. He did have me replace the u-joint right before the dif. but still makes the howl. Any ideas? It's on a 2000 gmc cc short bed.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2008
  2. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

Transfer case? is there any fluid in it?

3. saynow

saynow Junior Member

That wasn't checked, figured the shop guy would've at least suggested it. Is that something I can do myself? I've never done it before. Thanks

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Noises can be tough to find as there's many possibilities that can cause one. Diff bearings, pinion bearings, the ring & pinion itself, and the carrier bearing just to name a few. Know any local shops that have a Chassis Ear? A very nice tool that can really save a lot of money and diagnosis/tear down time.

5. saynow

saynow Junior Member

Hey B&B, I also had the wheel bearings taken out and checked, they were fine. Do you think this chassis ear will locate the problem? I also notice a very high pitched whine near the front at exactly 20 mph. This is very confusing and without the correct diagnosis, very expensive possibly. The guy that looked at it said it shouldn't be a problem for sometime due to the fact the ring and pinion looked like they were at normal wear. The noise is driving me crazy.

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

That's where the Chassis Ear is worth it weight in gold. :nod:

Check around at local GM dealers. Many of them invest in the Chassis Ear technology. Saves themselves time and money (warranty work)...as well as saving the customers and technicians sanity as well. A days worth of diagnosis can be pinpointed in an hours worth of diagnosis time