1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

HOWDY lets talk WEATHER -- Winter weather !

Discussion in 'Weather' started by wxdavid, Dec 23, 2015.

1. wxdavid

wxdavid Junior Member

Howdy all and Merry Xmas! I My name is DT - David Tolleris is i if and I am a grain and energy meteorologist located in Richmond Virginia. I will be making some weather posts here from time to time and I hope that you find these information useful. For those who wish to find out more about who I am and what I do ....you can click on my profile

First let me briefly say that as a private sector meteorologist that deals with energy and grain traders, the forecast process and mindset is significantly different than the type the meteorologist you see on The Weather Channel (TWC) or Accu-weather or your local TV.

If you know anybody who trades grain or energy ... then you know that those kinds of persons really don't care about the forecast today or tomorrow. Their main concern is 3 days from now.. 6 days... 9 days ...15 days etc. This is significantly different from what you see with the meteorologists on TWC or from NWS or from your local TV weather person who may or may not be a meteorologist.

It is a commonly held belief that you can't forecast with any accuracy beyond 4 or 5 days but that is NOT really correct. To be sure you cannot tell if he temperature in Chicago 7 days some now is going to be 42° vs 44 but you can tell if temperatures will be Above normal ..near normal or below normal and the same thing goes for precipitation. There are certain weather pattern that exists which scream " big East coast winter storm" or Big Midwest Winter storm" or Ice storm etc etc

In addition... extended forecasting -- say out to two weeks or 30 days or three months- is a special skill which have to be done all the time. The winter forecast that you may see on your local TV meteorologist is often an identical or regurgitated forecast from CPC/ NWS . To do extended forecasting you have to do all the time - like playing baseball or fornicating. Issuing a winter forecast in October or November when the public is clamoring for it is a waste of time. Those who make 2 week forecasts and 30 day forecasts and seasonal forecasts all year round are usually much better at doing this sort of thing.
  2. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Subscribed.............and welcome.
  3. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

Welcome DT!

Also climbing on board the discussion.
  4. LapeerLandscape

LapeerLandscape PlowSite.com Addict

Welcome to the discussion.

FISHERBOY Senior Member

Welcome DT , big fan and I'm also a subscriber to your site , and Facebook.
  6. unhcp

unhcp PlowSite.com Addict

def checking this thread out
  7. Sir Roy

Sir Roy Junior Member

Welcome. Subscribed.
  8. Evil Diesel

Evil Diesel Senior Member
    from Sharon

Too funny. I just mentioned you on the new england wx thread. Welcome
  9. unhcp

unhcp PlowSite.com Addict

I am hearing rumblings of a storm Tuesday???