1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How'd everyone's week go...

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by JTVLandscaping, Feb 3, 2011.

1. JTVLandscaping

JTVLandscaping Senior Member

So in Eastern NY, we got much less than predicted. 8" on Tuesday, and 5" on Wednesday. Alternator started acting up Tuesday, bought a new one in case, now it's fine. The snowblower was frozen solid and the starter wouldn't engage, had to thaw it with a heat gun on the porch Tues. night. Broke the ground wire off the spreader motor, cobbed it back together only to have the motor go bad Wednesday night. I sure do hate spreading lots with a walk behind spreader. So I guess I'm glad we didn't get the 15-30" forecasted, I was afraid of what would break next. Hope everyone else's storm was better!
  2. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

It was a rough week here as well. We also didn't get what they were calling for, but we got about 11 inches total. Tuesday night/ Wensday morning I had a plow solenoid go out on the Snoway V, also blew a hose on the Western left angle cylinder. Then this morning I was out cleaning up lots from the blowing snow, and sheared a pin on my Boss V, which in turn cracked the frame on the other side when the plow tweaked. All in all nothing big, about 60 dollars in parts, and 300 dollars in fuel, and I am all done waiting for the next snow so I can go play some more. Like I tell my wife, I can sleep this spring, right now I just want more snow.
  3. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Its all a blur. Sunday started out as usual, Monday morning turned out to be a nice 6-8 inch instead of the 1-3 they were calling for even as of 11pm (typical). Monday night we pre salted the nasty sleet in hopes to burn some of it off.....waste of salt, I set my alarm for 1am and wake up at 536am OH SH!T!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It took me all of 2 minutes to get dressed, call every one out and get out to a nice layer of freezing rain on top of 2 inches of snow. Haul ars over to our Lowe's, me and another guy get 60% of it plowed up in about 1hr. It was super wet heavy crap but was cool plowing at 30ish MPH. Weird smell coming from my truck, (maybe shouldn't have plowed at 30ish MPH), loader was useless trying to push over ice, spent the 5-6hrs babysitting the lot in hopes they wouldn't be too pissed off (they weren't), find out 1 sidewalk guy has to watch his kid, another sidewalk guy is MIA but my sidewalk crew leader hammered it out with a skeleton crew. Today was supposed to be a clean up/easy night for everyone....come to find out my sidewalk guys did a crappy job leaving wet snow everywhere which is now frozen solid, thank God we're hauling it tomorrow at this one place, but all is good now. Tonight we're just salting, doing some more cleaning up and we're hauling for the next few days straight, just in time for another good storm Saturday through Monday AND I get to play with my new light bar. I bet in the last week and a half I have maybe 15hrs of sleep most of which was little 2hr naps. My left leg is killing me from sitting in the loader for so long, my right leg is like jello and now I have a headache but I love this crap!
  4. BlackBirdWS.6

BlackBirdWS.6 Member

I got about nothing in my area, .5-1 inch of ice and 2 inches of snow :realmad:
    I've been wanting to get a nice big storm this year but I guess it's just not in the cards. :cry:
  5. JB1

JB1 Senior Member

well, I guess the snowmobile business must be good there then.
  6. kc2006

kc2006 Senior Member

Like blackbird said we got the .5-1" of ice and 2" of snow maybe, made good money salting, got to push every thing a few times too just to try and get the ice off the lots. Every time I'd get done, places would call me back out to salt again because the places were a sheet of ice. We pushed the slush off tuesday morning, pushed the slop off wednesday morning (got alot of rain and temps went up to almost 40) then got like 1/2" maybe on thursday and got to push all the lots again to try and get more ice off.

The carrier bearing went on my truck, was only 25 bucks, and on wednesday had some electrical glitches because of all the water, tranny started throwing codes and my strobes were on the fritz, but everything was fine after it dried off. Can't complain about that really.
  7. deere615

deere615 2000 Club Member

The alarm thing sucks I usually set 2 for the first time I wake up then 2 more for an hour or 2 after that. Sometimes I still sleep through them? been there done that through jumping outta bed and hauling to get stuff done
  8. wrtenterprises

wrtenterprises Member

Made lots of money. We had a couple inches of sleet, followed by .25" of ice. We did allot of scraping, but the premium for ice removal is well worth it. My guys did a terrific job. Would not trade my PSU guys for anybody. Scheduling can be a headache, but 20-23 year olds can really get it done.....
  9. bskiball

bskiball Member

Used 3 times the salt as normal. Didn't even put the plow on the truck. Lots of ice and no snow.
  10. Cmbrsum

Cmbrsum Senior Member

Mine Sucked!!! Once again, No Snow or Ice
  11. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

Made more money on this one than the blizzard storm at the end of December.All commercial lots got 3 plowings and 3 Magic saltings,2.5 days of hardly any sleep,crashed 1 night in my RV trailer at my shop that I keep the heat on all Winter long for such an event.Only had 1 little problem,a wing return spring broke,part of it boinged up in the air about 10' and clanked against a parked school bus,luckily it missed a window.I noticed many lots by me because of the cold spell are now all frozen over probably because of cheap landlords not wanting to part with their money for salting.Relaxing now,drizzling rain going on,above freezing but wintery mix is projected for tonight.
  12. D&E

D&E Senior Member

Man what a mess of a storm. We got nothing but sleet and freezing rain for 2 days, and then finally a little bit of snow after that. There's nothing more frustrating than chasing windrows of slush that just flow around like water. Had to get them though, or they'd turn into tank traps when the temps dropped again. Luckily nothing broke for me or any of my other guys ::knock on wood:: Fell on my @$$ more times than I can count, though. Oh, and trying to stack snow when the pile is a solid piece of cement is always fun, too.

All in all, it was a good event. Got some good hours behind the controls and made some good money.

At the moment, it's sleeting like nobody's business. I thought it was supposed to snow in the winter. Here we go again, I guess. :rolleyes:
  13. cmo18

cmo18 Senior Member

got over 1' last week. 40 hours in the truck, little bit of salt. Great week

Sunday expected another 1'...Almost 8ft of snow has fallen this year...best year since I started
  14. MahonLawnCare

MahonLawnCare Senior Member
    from Ohio

Well let's see...the ice storm started monday night and all the lots were pretty much skating rinks..we salted the piss out of them and it just kept freezing raining so we had to re-do the route in the morning again...weather broke..i came down with some strep throat/bronchitis flu death disease....tuesday night the fun begins probably 1.5-2'' of ice...hauled a skidloader through the middle of the worst part with the trailer sliding sideways on a main road..that was fine...got it to my biggest lot, my cousin ran it for a solid 6 straight hours peeling ice after we had already salted and plowed the lot twice..meanwhile i kept at from 2 pm tuesday until 10 am wednesday morning..my fever was up to 101..still working...finally the ice quit and we got it all done..i came home went to the dr and died for 2 days. now i have awoken and am healthy they called for 6'' today and we got NOTHING! go figure! i hope next week is quiet, i need to get the landscape side organized
  15. JTVLandscaping

JTVLandscaping Senior Member

Damn...That's why I get my flu shot I guess. I thought my time was bad, plowing with an abcessed tooth, which I failed to mention in my original post.
  16. kc2006

kc2006 Senior Member

mahons was from making out with tranny hookers though.

17. MahonLawnCare

MahonLawnCare Senior Member
    from Ohio

damn it chance...you got me!
  18. Dr Who

Dr Who Senior Member

Well, I played video games the whole time...
    we had rain, 60 degree, more rain, 40 degree, a little sleat then sun with in 10 minuits..

We are having spring weather a little early, I am just about out of the winter season here. We get maybe a skim or 2 after the middle of Feb, March is mostly rain, but if it does snow, its a big one (for this area) but melts off with in a day or two...

About time to prep the plow for storage..:(
  19. pohouse

pohouse Senior Member

Had 5" here. Did my own accounts on Tuesday afternoon/evening, then jumped in the dumptruck at midnight and ran 12 hrs with the city boys clearing highways, main arterials and bus routes. I always love plowing at night.

P1040453 to post.jpg

P1040458 to post.jpg
  20. cobra01

cobra01 Junior Member
    from mass

my week started ot great got my new xtreme v 8.5 then we got snow and the **** hit the fan frist my v plow burns up relys next blow to hoses on f350 with mm2 then a hose at 9 pm on the skid steer doing snow removel then my father kills the plow frame on my one ton dump truck took the push plates off and grinded and welded it back up and put back together then electrical problem on same truck but as for that two are fixed and the xtreme v is in the shop. all in the middle of shoveling roof anthen finding out that the barn i keep my boat in feel in so my boat and about 30 other cars and boats are trashed then my wifes grandmother barn feel in howes that for a week. there is one good thing my family is ok and thats all that matters. good luck to everbody and be safe