1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

how you charge?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by TPS Alberta, Nov 22, 2010.

1. TPS Alberta

TPS Alberta Member

So lets say that you are plowing a lot for $80 per service. Instead of waiting for the storm to end before plowing, you decide to stay on top of it and plow half way through, and once again at the end. Would you guys just charge for one service or would you charge for both times you came out?
  2. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

If your there twice, then you should charge twice.
  3. eshskis

eshskis Senior Member
    from 4

If 2 visits are justified you bill 2x's
  4. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

I think you answered it in your original post.

I charg per event not number of times visited.
  5. serafii

serafii Senior Member

We charge monthly. So the less snow the better.
  6. erkoehler

erkoehler PlowSite Veteran

Every time you plow at your predetermined trigger depth is a separate per push service charge.
  7. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

each time we plow....we charge
  8. EdNewman

EdNewman Senior Member

We charge based on event total to eliminate that whole mess.
  9. Wayne Volz

Wayne Volz Senior Member

per plow

We charge per plow. For us that would be two invoices sent out. However, that does not mean it is right for you. Set your contracts up to fit your specific needs.

Good luck.
  10. TPS Alberta

TPS Alberta Member

Thanks for the input. Big help! I think, I will change things to a per-push so that if we reach our trigger twice then we will bill twice.

Thanks guys!
  11. deereequipment

deereequipment Member

It all depends on how YOU set up your agreement.
    I charge by the measurement, so I can plow as often as I want, or am able to.
    It doesn't lock me in for "having" to plow 3 times, if the storm is so intense and we can only do it 2 times. It will still be the same amount of snow pushed, whether you plow it once, or if you plow it 10 times.
    It's much harder to push 10 inches of snow, than it is to push 5 inches of snow, so if the storm is so intense that you can't get there until the end, why would you do all that work for less money?
  12. Wayne Volz

Wayne Volz Senior Member

Great point

You are exactly correct about protecting yourself on the volume of snow being pushed. We base our per push pricing on 4" or less of snow and also cover our flat rate pricing with an 8" threshold. If we do have excessive snow very quickly, we have the right to let our hourly rate prevail. It's all about the way the contract is written. So many variables in this business.
  13. nac lawncare

nac lawncare Junior Member
    from ohio

If I visit one of my commercial lots twice during one event then I would bill for two pushes. I set my contract to a two inch trigger. Sometimes I will visit a lot 2 or 3 days after a push just to clean drifts etc. and wont charge. Most people would charge everytime they set foot on a property. The biggest thing I've learned is that if your there multipe times during an event, log the times that you were there and the services you provided, that way when you send out your invoices you can add all that information and there will be no questions. Some of my commercial lots dont need plowed in some instances and may just need sidewalks salted in the morning. More often then not I will log this service in my invoice but I wont charge for it. I feel it helps when you've had the same customers for years and you show that you are giving them somthing for free it will help when you renew the contract the next year. I normally do the same thing for a church that I plow, if its icy for Sunday morning service then I salt sidewalks etc,. and in some instances there will be no charge. Id rather give away 500 lbs of salt during a season then lose a multi thousand dollar contract. Just treat your customers right, if the lot needs plowed then charge them, thats what they hired you for and they know that if there lot is clean then there open for business and they are makin money. If you treat them right then they will treat you right.
  14. adan

adan Member

It cost money yourself money everytime your machines go out. So you have to charge or atleast factor it in. We the contractors don't control the weather. If it say starts snowing at midnight and a business opens at 8 and the snow wont stop till later in the day. You have to make sure its done by opening time, and then if it snows enough to hit your trigger again, then you have to head back out..
  15. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

All depends on the hours of operations of the customer, and the wording of your contract.

If its a 9-5 type of operation, and you plow 2x overnight to "keep up" with the snow, I don't see how you could possibly bill for 2 plowings.

If its a 24hr operation, and you plow 2x to keep snow from building up on the property, then yes, by all means charge 2 times
  16. Tubby's Snow Plowing

Tubby's Snow Plowing Senior Member

Depends how you word your contract.

Does your "per service" mean per visit to plow?

Does your "per service" mean per storm?

One you will make money. One you might break even or lose money.
  17. adan

adan Member

Thats why you have to try and plow certain sites as close to opening time as possible not 8 hours before it opens during a huge storm. Then if it continues on snowing throughout the day pass your snow trigger amount you have to charge to go back. You don't control the snow flow remember.
  18. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

Definetly charge 2x, you guys get lots of snow up there, there has to be a expectation from your client that sometimes it well need to be done more then once in a day.
  19. slave2lawns

slave2lawns Member

Well said !!! Customers want to feel like your taking care of them. It always helps especially when it comes time for a new bid. There are soo many guys out there looking @ your accounts , you have to make yourself stand out as to why you should they keep you opposed to giving someone else a shot especially if they come in a lot cheaper than you.
  20. TPS Alberta

TPS Alberta Member

The reason I am thinking of going hourly is that I will always be set covered no matter how much it snows. If I end up pushing after a heavy snowfall I will still make money even if it takes longer. I never thought about charging on an accumulation basis though. How do you guys charge by accumulation?

Also, Let's say you guys have a trigger of 4", and it reaches the trigger of 4", and then snows another 2" after that. Will you guys A) wait till the end of the storm to plow all 6" or B) will you plow when it gets to that 4" trigger, and then ignore it if it snow another 2" afterwards? (I know 2" is pretty negligible im just trying to make the numbers easy). I have always been curious how other guys do this.