1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How would you store 150-200 shovels?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by TGS Inc., Oct 12, 2015.

1. TGS Inc.

TGS Inc. Senior Member
    from Detroit

We are making a tool crib/cage (about 14' x 20') to distribute shovels to our 30 + crews during an event. Wondering if you guys have any clever ways you are storing your shovels besides the obvious hook that holds like 5 or so.

We use generally 3 different kinds. We have the snowcasters with hoop type handles, smaller T / small loop type handles and regular straight handled shovels. I want them all up in the air (eye level or higher for the lowest point I'm thinking) so we can store buckets, spreaders and snow blowers down low.

Our shop is pretty tall, was even considering making something on a pulley system to lower groupings of the 3 types of shovels

Appreciate your input guys!!

2. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

That is a LOT of shovels. That's a lot of sidewalk crews

3. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Yea, we use pipe and floor mounts mounted to a 2x4's leaned against a wall. The 2bys are set up on a grid pattern....

3582.jpg

23579-MMS-1444701193240-attachment1-3583.jpg

Last edited: Oct 12, 2015
  4. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

We have like 300 shovelers. Numbers painted on there safety vest to track.

5. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

Aren't you wasting a whole bunch of time distributing shovels on every event? Why don't they stay in a truck/van?

6. TGS Inc.

TGS Inc. Senior Member
    from Detroit

They get broken, we find parts in dumpsters. Guys will steal other peoples good shovels. We need to treat it like a rental yard.

7. Defcon 5

Defcon 5 PlowSite.com Addict

Bragger...I would just throw them all in the corner untill the next event...

8. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

That's a **** ton of shovels, and an even bigger **** ton of wasted time to load and unload for every storm.

What brand of shovels are you using? Cheapy ones or good ones?

I'd think it would pay off in the long run to buy thesnowplow shovels and keep them in trucks/vans.

We only have about 30 shovels to store, they're mounted similar to olddog's.

9. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Number your trucks, number your shovels.

Shovel #42 , ice scraper#42 , plow #42, salter#42 goes with #42 truck.

Shovel numbers #21-25 go with sidewalk crew X.

Etc etc, don't make work for yourself, make your guys responsible for their shovels.

When they log out the truck, have said shovels on the log sheet.

Jmo

Ps do you remove the plows and salters from the trucks after every event?

Last edited: Oct 13, 2015
  10. TGS Inc.

TGS Inc. Senior Member
    from Detroit

We have all equipment come in at end of night. Plows (if you meant on plow trucks) stay on trucks. All sidewalk equipment comes inside and out of truck. Some of my people are voting for the truck# = shovel, bucket, etc kit. Haven't decided yet.

Appreciate all the opinions so far guys!

11. TGS Inc.

TGS Inc. Senior Member
    from Detroit

What exactly do you mean when they log out of truck, have said shovels on log sheet? Are you saying they physically bring in the shovels to someone?

12. jhall22guitar

jhall22guitar PlowSite.com Addict

I think he means they have to log what number shovel they take on the log out sheet.

If it was me, I would have the shovels stay in the truck (numbered to match truck number) and then check that shovel is with truck when it returns, lost shovels while out in the storm should never happen, broken shovels I can understand. How do you lose the one tool you need as a sidewalk guy?

13. Bossman 92

Bossman 92 PlowSite.com Addict

I have often wondered that same thing myself but some guys are better at loosing stuff than others.

To the OP how many trucks, skids, loaders do you guys run? Sounds like you have quite the operation

14. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Don't they bringing them to someone now or do they just throwing them in the corner of the shop?
    You made it sound like you handed out every shovel to every employee every time it snowed.

yes, on each trucks sign out sheet would have a spot to check for shovels, Shovels #______.
    corresponding with the trucks #
    and every sidewalk crew member has an assigned shovel
    #'s. this makes losses and breakage easy to track and makes your employees accountable for their tools they need to do their jobs.

15. jhall22guitar

jhall22guitar PlowSite.com Addict

If you leave them in the trucks (I assume your shop area is safe and you don't expect people walking into the yard stealing shovels) you could have each truck have the shovel's in it be numbered to match the truck, inspect the trucks when they come back to make sure the shovel is there, if it is all is good. If its broken they let you know. Lost shovels are taken out of the truck members paychecks for replacement. That way its a team effort, and you don't take the hit since maybe the "lost" shovels are just broken and they don't want to bring them back because they are scared?

16. kolwnmstr

kolwnmstr Senior Member

What about one of these? lol

[​IMG]

17. TGS Inc.

TGS Inc. Senior Member
    from Detroit

Love it!! Could probably find a cool system at an auction!

18. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

The first time a guy "lost" my tool, shovel or whatever it might be, he would be lost as well.
    Bet you $1000 that same phuckup never ever loses his phone.

19. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

Says the person that plows alone.

What's the most number of people you've had to manage?

20. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

Lol, I thought that. When you need 60-80 labors to shovel snow, your tune will change a little