1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

how would you handle this

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by green frog, Jan 8, 2009.

1. green frog

green frog Senior Member

I have a property in S Buffalo that needs to be done by 7am because they do physical therapy. So I get there last night around 5am and the wind is really blowing. I pull in the lot and I see 80% black top, the wind was blowing just right. The city trucks usually plow in the drive but it only has 1 inch and maybe an inch here and there, so I just go on to my next property. He calls around noon asking if I am still having truck issues and I tell him no. I told him there was nothing at 5am because of wind and he says that's ********. I tell him all trucks are working with a back up and I am not behind he just had no snow. I offer to come out he says no because the lot has to many cars, So I tell him I will be out after 5pm when the lot will be empty and he says fine. What would you do?
  2. Cassy

Cassy Senior Member

go back after 5pm, and clean up.

next time even it there's a trace of snow, plow it anyways--and snap a few pictures too for your records.

is this the first time he's complained about you not being there?

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Since he asked if you still had truck issues I assume this is not the 1st call from him. I would drive by after he hung up and ask him face to face exactly what he wants with the snow there now. This way you can look to see what he is talking about and maybe show him you have some responsibility by talking face to face about a concern of his.
  4. Sno4U

Sno4U Senior Member

I had much the same issue 2 nites ago. Our contract which has stayed the same for several years now clearly states 2"-we'll plow. We had 1"- I didn't plow. I did however salt and it wasn't working fast enough for the guy. So he calls and asks why I didn't plow. I stated agreement guidelines. Didn't suit him.
    All I could do was go and plow it ASAP. I have a friend who gave me a quote something to the affect of , when you correct a mistake with a client all u have is a less unhappy client. Do what u can, don't take it personally (like I do all the time) and move on.
    Next time, you'll know better.
  5. clark lawn

clark lawn PlowSite.com Addict
    from NE ohio

i had one that the last snow it was about 1 3/4 inches (2 inch trigger) and still snowing, well he called and b!!ched that there wasnt enough snow. now today there was only an inch to an inch and a half and they call and asked why it wasnt plowed. Damned if you do damned if you dont.
  6. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

Guys you all have to remember the customer is always right. We had about 1 1/2 inches yesterday and last night. This is the first snow event of the season. The winds were blowing about 40 mph, and many of my lots were 70 to 80% bare. Guess what I did last night. I went and plowed every one of them. This morning I stopped by or called all of my accounts, and everyone was as happy as a clam. Not one of them complained.
    Moral of the story is, if it's close to the trigger, plow them, on time every time unless they start complaining. If they complain, then follow their wishes, and replaced them next year with a different client. Do this for several years, then you won't have any more complaining.
  7. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

I know what he went through. I was done by 4am and was just checking approaches on the way home. From 5;15 am to 5;45am a huge squall of lake effect came through and dumped about good 3 inches with the wind blowing. So I jump right over to my lots that opened first and tied to get them all plowed. Got them all done except one could get to it because of traffic and they called and I told them it was clean as of 5am but all the snow they see fell in a half hr. So I cleaned the aisles and will be back tonight.
  8. coldcoffee

coldcoffee Senior Member

Sounds like the same snow and wind that I was fighting around 5:00 this morning in Cleveland. Half the lots were bare but the West sides of buildings and where cars were parked quickly became snow drifts on almost no time. I had to plow out main entrances 2 or three times before I was done and even had to plow while I was salting, just to get it down on the pavement....gotta love those AM rushes when you run your @ss off and nobody has any idea what you just did...kinda like peein' in the wind.

I'll bet the snow started sticking as soon as there were cars in the lot to catch the snow...it's a thankless job sometimes, but all you can do is all you can do.

If he gives you any more grief...print this thread and show it to him...I'll vouch for ya :D
  9. Dstosh

Dstosh Senior Member

Gonna have to do the same thing. Went out to clean up and it turned into a full blown run.:angry:
  10. green frog

green frog Senior Member

Thanks guys. I went over at 5pm and saw like 2 or 3 snow blower passes and thats it and less than an inch of snow everywhere else. So I am not sure what he was bitching about. Yes I had truck problems but he has been open all season on time even if it was with snow blowers.
  11. N&CLandscaping

N&CLandscaping Senior Member
    from Medford

haha. I just had the same problem yesturday and thismorning. Went out to my hotel, plowed and sanded twice. There was no snow in the forcast, BUT the wind picked up in the middle of the night. I got a call in the morning from the manager B****ing at me of how come we never plowed. long long story short, we went out in the morning and sanded. there was no need to plow, there was just a thin sheet of ice. So it happens
  12. Salisbury1975

Salisbury1975 Junior Member
    from Detroit

I'd just go back at 5pm, you can't control the weather. It's a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation. If you would have salted or plowed the areas of his lot that were covered he probably would've complained that it didnt need it. Where's your crystal ball? get with the program!!!!!!