1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How would you handle this forcast?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Joel B., Mar 7, 2003.

1. Joel B.

Joel B. Senior Member
    from MN

Greetings from the land of 1.9" snowfalls! "They" are forcasting 1-2" tonight and 1-3" Friday night. Do I:

Plow tomorrow (assuming the 2" trigger is met) and again on Saturday and charge for 2 plowings.

Wait and only plow Saturday and charge for one plowing.

Would most people live with a little snow in their driveway for a day to save the cost of a plowing?

On the other hand, my agreement with them is that I plow when it snows (again, assuming the trigger is met) and I can't help it if it snows 2 nights in a row.

Thanks for any opinions,

Joel B.
  2. greenquestlawn

greenquestlawn Senior Member

Plow twice and charge twice.

If you are in the area that has been without snow this year then they should have nothing to say. Heck they have gotten off easy. Even with alot of snow, I would still plow. We have had times this year that we had 2" each night for 4-5 days in a row. Just keep plowing and charging.
  3. SCSIndust

SCSIndust Senior Member

All my residentials trigger around 2", too. I look at it this way - if I plow early Friday morning, then they can get to their car to get to work easier. Then once again on saturday morning to clean up what else falls. You can always argue that you don't want to be held responsible if those 2" freezes Friday night and somebody falls because you didn't plow, understand? All my clients like to have almost any snow cleared off their driveway at all times. Makes my decisions easier. You should know your clients - who would complain? Who wouldn't? Also, I assume you charge by the plowing... charging by the inch would benefit you much more in a situation like this. Just my 2 cents.
  4. Earthscapes

Earthscapes Senior Member
    from WNY

hmmmmm that forecast seems familar. I would sit back and play on my computer, because it probably won't snow.

But if i was you and it did snow i would plow them twice and charge them twice considering your on a per plow basis.

My residentials are on a 3" trigger so i would plow my commercials which are 2" triggers. Then again i haven't used my new truck yet and considering spring is 3 weeks away and the lawn contracts are starting to flow in i might just plow everything.
  5. columbiaplower

columbiaplower Senior Member

I face a similar problem a few weeks back. On a thursday night we got 4in. we plow friday through flurries. over the weekend we got 22 more inches of snow. got alot of complaints asking why i charged them for the 4inches and why didnt i wait. i explain that i didnt want the sno to pile up and that they are on a 2in trigger for a reason.
  6. columbiaplower

columbiaplower Senior Member

and oh yea BTW charge um for both. its in the contracts
  7. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Agreed - Plow twice/charge twice. Two seperate snowfalls. I had similar thing yesterday. Sanded early in the morning, then had to sand again yesterday evening.
  8. Pickering snow removal

Pickering snow removal Senior Member

Joel no doubt plow twice bill twice like some said the temps at night could cause a freeze making it worse to get everything cleaned up good . I know what you mean on the 1.9's and has far has iam concerned 1.5 even makes just has big a mess so go make some money buddy.
  9. JCurtis

JCurtis Banned

YES !!!!!

Plow twice, charge for two plows after all its two separate storms.

Even if it wasn't two storms, if you plow twice you charge twice.
  10. jkkalbers

jkkalbers Senior Member

doesn't matter, got about 1/4" anyway. Still talking 1-3" for sat. morning. I'll believe when I see it. At any rate when in doubt always plow. deal with complaint latter most people will be glad it was done, the only people that will complain are the ones that shouldn't have a service anyway, because they can't afford it.
  11. Joel B.

Joel B. Senior Member
    from MN

Just saw on weathersite that 3-6" is predicted for Friday night/Sat morning. Could this be true????????

Joel B.