1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

how would you guys handle this situation???

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by celticgreens, Nov 9, 2004.

1. celticgreens

celticgreens Junior Member

ok, i'm new to plowing and this will be my first year. i haven't picked the method in which i should follow in terms of inches, prices, salt...etc. anyways, let me give you guys a scenerio and see how you handle it.

ok forecast calls for 8 inches of snow in your area. and it does. lets say an inch an hour and starts at 8 pm and ends at 4am. how do you handle it?? what is your trigger? how many times do you come back to the same house to clear it again and at what depth do you repeat a driveway? what do you charge and at what depth does it increase and with what factors? and when do you put down salt? is it each time or do you come back when the snow is done for a final coat of salt before you go home.

lets just say you do average sized residential driveways only (about 20X50).

do any of you have a worker that does sidways and walkways? if so, what do you pay them. just completely explain your entire process for me and all those newbies that haven't had any luck with a thread search. thanks guys, anything will help. :drinkup:

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Ok, here goes. But, remember that what works for me doesn't necessarily work in your area. For one thing, we don't do "cleanups" here for residentials.

forecast calls for 8 inches of snow in your area. and it does. lets say an inch an hour and starts at 8 pm and ends at 4am. I have one person who needs to leave for work about 5:00, another who needs to leave at 5:30 and a third needs out by 6:00, but the first two are 10 miles apart. So, I would hit the first one about 3:30, leaving plenty of time to get to the other one and be done there by 5:00 (1/2 hr margin of error). Then come back and start a sequential route (these two are paying a premium to be plowed by a certain time, not just "on a route"). Knowing it's snowing at 1" per hour, I know the first one will have about an inch or so, but I've already given her some Magic Salt to put down, so I know she'll be ok.

what is your trigger?[/B] 3". Unless the customer requests a lesser amount. I will not go with a trigger of more than 3". The "I will call you" ones pay a much higher price.

how many times do you come back to the same house to clear it again and at what depth do you repeat a driveway? This needs to be discussed with the customer and agreed upon. For instance, I probably would clear all the driveways in the morning, then not again till afternoon for their return home. But, I have a truck that will push 14" of snow without a problem (and has). You need to consider your customers needs and your equipment capability.

what do you charge and at what depth does it increase and with what factors? What do I charge is too nebulous. Depths are from the trigger (3") to 8": $xx, over 8" to 12": $xx times 1 1/2, over 12": times 2. I've got some that are 3-6, over 6-9", over 9-12" and over 12". Other are for 3-12. The smaller and easier, the wider the range: For instance, the smallest/easiest one I've got is about 50'. Push straight in and two pushes wide. Pile at the end of the push. It's so much for anything up to 12". Then I've got a road that's pretty hilly and sharp curves. It's set up for 3-6,6-9,9-12 etc.

Sand or salt is at the discretion of the homeowner. If left to my discretion, I sand everytime I plow (for liability issue).

My price for a 20x50 drive would be irrelevant to your situation.

I have no workers and no sidewalks in my town. I don't do porches, decks etc.

I hope this helped some.

3. celticgreens

celticgreens Junior Member

thanks

yeah thanks you, it really does help....anyone else have any thoughts??? :confused:

4. DJL

DJL Senior Member

Residential have a 2" trigger. Your price should be dependent on your expenses and what you would like to profit. I work my prices into increments. For example, 2-5" is $x, 6-8" is $y, 9-12" is $z. I plan on one trip per storm anything under 9". 9-12" gets priced at two visits. Anything over 12" is a straight hourly wage with one visit a minimum of one hour billable time. Also, if I plow your driveway and then your township cleans your road thereby blocking you in I have a fee for returning and cleaning up.

None of my residence ever request salt/sand/calcium so I don't/never had to worry about it. As for commercial lots de-icing depends on the forecast and current weather conditions and time of day. For instance, I'll salt before a storm when there are still vehicles in the lot (i.e. daytime). By doing this the snow is less likely to stick to the asphalt and become hard packed by the traffic. Otherwise, I'll usually wait until after I service the lot for the first time (i.e. after 10pm). I'll then hit it after all snow removal/plowing services are rendered after the storm.