1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

how would you guys go about doing this?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by ericbu, Jan 10, 2011.

1. ericbu

ericbu Junior Member

hey guys i have an older western plow and i want to restore it. all the pain is peeling and its full of rust. how could i get this back into good shape....if its possable thanks for the help

2. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

Drop it off at a sandblasters and have them do the whole thing and paint it with a commercial grade paint. Or just wire wheel it and give it a coat of rattle can...should last about a month or two if it is really rusty.

3. Dirty Jersey

Dirty Jersey Senior Member

Sandblasting or stripping it chemically or a trusty grinder with wire wheel, get it all cleaned up use some rust inhibiting paint the give it a coat of paint. I used rustoleum sunburst red or something close to that.

Good luck,

John

Last edited: Jan 10, 2011
  4. Dr Who

Dr Who Senior Member

sand blast it, then paint it with industrial paint, or have it powder coated

5. mitchp

mitchp Member

Sandblast it. The only way to go.

6. ericbu

ericbu Junior Member

thanks guys...im probally going to do this, this up coming spring or maybe a little earlier

7. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

Powder coat the plow after it's sandblasted. I did 3 plows thie summer, and it cost me a total of about 700 dollars. they look like new again.

8. ford26

ford26 Junior Member

Use a grinder with a good wheel. Clean it . Prime it real good. NAPA auto parts has a primer works really good . Then Rattle can it. WESTERN has paint. at you local dealer. I did mine this last fall. and still looks good. Ill try to get a picture up.

9. ihwild

ihwild Junior Member

Anyone ever put POR-15 on then a top coat of whatever paint?

rich

10. fargosnowpro

fargosnowpro Member

That is the best option. Plan B would be have it blasted and you do the painting yourself. I just had 6 wheels blasted and p-coated locally, based on that I would guess you would be looking at $400 +/- to have an 8' blade blasted and coated with a basic color. I've found prices vary wildly here, someone locally wanted $150/wheel to blast, the place I took them to did it for $20/wheel, make sure you call around!

11. fargosnowpro

fargosnowpro Member

I helped a buddy paint an axle for his Jeep using POR-15. We cleaned the nasty spots with a wire brush, sprayed the whole business down with alcohol and wiped up then hit it with the POR. The finish looked great and it seems to have to the trick. We did this mid summer 2010 and the axle still looks like the day we painted it, when it's clean of course :jester:

12. ppandr

ppandr Senior Member

Use an aggressive wire wheel (twisted), scrape and clean off as must loose rust as you can. Apply rust convertor to all of it ( the brush not the thin watered down stuff), prime and paint.

We use rustol. prime and paint for the blades. I have blades that we did two/three years ago that still look great. I would recoat the front of the blade every year.

13. wildwilly

wildwilly Member

blast it and have it GALVANIZED!!!!!!!!!

14. JTVLandscaping

JTVLandscaping Senior Member

I did an 8' Fisher a while back, I hit it with a grinder, then a wire wheel, and then a palm sander to level it all out, then some rust converter, them I found a galvanizing primer at my local ACE Hardware, 2 coats of that and then sprayed the yellow. The plow looked brand new for years after, probably still does.

15. plowman491

plowman491 Junior Member