1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How would you go about this...

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by snowplower1, Oct 31, 2014.

1. snowplower1

snowplower1 Senior Member

I am buying a new truck tomorrow and it is between 2 2015 ford v-8 6.2l f-350 xl trucks. I am leaning more towards the truck 1 because it has more basic equipment which personally is better because of salting and such. So my question is which would you choose and also if i go with truck 1 how much should i talk him down? I feel like since i can get truck 2 with a ton more options for only a thousand dollars more i should be able to get truck 1 for less. Thank you for any help you can give me

Truck 1 Truck 2
    Preferred equipment package preferred equipment package
    6 speed tranny 6 speed tranny
    3.37 elect lock axle- 390 All terrain tires- 125
    Xl décor package 3.73 elect lock axle- 390
    10400 gvwr 11,100 gvwr
    Electric shift fly- 185 fx4 off road package- 895
    Engine block heater power equipment group- 895
    Cali emission engine block heater
    Snow plow prep- 85 cali emissions
    Spare and tire camper package- 160
    12.5 k trailer hitch snow plow package- 85
    Center high mount stop lamp spare tire and wheel
    Upfitter switches- 125 trailer brake controller- 270
    Extra heavy alt- 75 12.5k trailer hitch
    Aux audio input jack Telescoping tt mirrors
    XL value package- 595 Center high mount stop lamp
    quoted price- 29,726 roof clearance lights- 55
    Add Steel road wheel 18”-455
    Drop in bed liner- 259 Upfitter switches- 125
    Trailer brake controller- 300 Extra heavy duty alternator- 75
    3 leaf springs- 750 Aux audio input jack
    Total 31,035 XL appearance package- 945
    quoted price- 31,312
    2 leaf springs- 500
    Drop in bedliner- 259
    Total- 32,071
  2. snowplower1

btw these two trucks are from different stores
  3. jimbo64

jimbo64 Senior Member

Personally I would buy the one that has the options that I want or else I would regret it if I went strictly with price. Hopefully you will find a decent salesperson that won't try and dazzle you with too much BS (if that's possible).Make an offer on the truck you want and see what happens. Cash talks to a degree. Good luck.
  4. snowplower1

Agreed. But i honestly don't want the power options and such I'd prefer to have the basics of everything because the salt destroys everything but if I can get 3 thousand dollars worth of options for the truck thats only a thousand dollars more than the basic options I mine as well choose the one I'm getting the most for my buck
  5. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

so the choice comes down to getting a mildly optioned brand new truck or a heavily optioned brand new truck. the fact is that decision is entirely up to you. if you're in the position to spend the money on a brand new truck, then i doubt the extra grand or two is really going to make a difference. get what you want and drive it home.
  6. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Personally, I can't make heads or tails of what the hell you typed. Heres what I think are important and what I would get IF I were getting another brand new truck for plowing/towing. Manual 4x4 shifter (not the electric shift) heated mirrors (you can thank me for Fords idea of heating the convex mirror!) power windows, remote start. Up fitter switches are nice, a factory trailer brake control is nice. The extra springs are ok but you'll probably be replacing them in 5 years plus they still suck...my 06 was new and I added 2 extra leafs on each side plus a 4 pack of helpers 2 days after I bought it and with a 2 ton v box it still squatted it a ton! The snow plow prep usually comes with whimpy 5200lb front springs which are useless unless your sporting a tiny 7ft plow and if you have AC you already have a heavy duty alt. (I think the fan is about the only difference). As far as gearing...depends what your towing I guess. All the other creature comforts are nice but whatever you typed came up as one long run on sentence so I gave up,lol sorry.
  7. SnowFakers

SnowFakers Senior Member
    from CT

The salt shouldn't be getting in the cab and destroying interior power options... Either way the truck and the body will go if you let it, but the interior options have no impact from salt... Atleast that's how I read all of this
  8. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

What the hell is that post about?
  9. Ray

Ray PlowSite.com Veteran

I would say go for the one that is 1K to 2K more, you will be happier in the end having those extra luxuaries. I have an XLT and there are options that I wish I had now that I thought I didn't need when I bought the truck.
  10. snowplower1

Lol sorry idk why the post came out weird. It looks normal on my side so idk what's wrong with it. But yeah I'm used to having the basics so I'm gonna just try to get the truck with all basics and drop it by 2k and if they won't then I'll get the other one
  11. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Fyi 2k is roughly 45 more on your payment
  12. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

I can't make any sense of all that either. Good luck.

Anyway, my 2011 doesn't have any power options like windows, locks and seats. Those are the only things I miss sometimes but for $29,000...I'll live without them.
  13. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Do they both have prep package, why the different gross weight? Its hard to read and copy and paste sucks on PS.
  14. rcnease

rcnease Member

If you plan on doing that much heavy salting (like I do) then why would you go brand new and pay for that depreciation on the vehicle. Get yourself a really nice used truck and let it rip. I can't ever see myself buying a new truck to plow and salt in. Just not worth it to me. There are many nice used trucks that I think you could get.

If you are stuck on getting a new truck, go with the loaded truck so you won't be sorry later on wishing you got the better truck. If you are only talking 1K difference, that is an easy choice if you ask me.
  15. snowplower1

Lol i now understand it grouped everything together when i pasted it instead of leaving it separated and being able to read it. can you edit a post?? lol or just delete the post cause i understand what i should do now
  16. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

Any decent dealer will show you the invoice and sell you a truck for $200 over invoice.
    Personally, the button shift 4x4 and power windows are mandatory. Heated mirrors come with the power group. My 15 was ordered with;

Snow plow package
    Electronic locker with 4:30 gears
    Electronic 4x4 shift
    XL appearance package (chrome wheel trim, bumpers, grill piece, 4 speaker stereo with CD, cruise)
    Power group with keyless remote
    18" rims and tires
    All terrain Michelin tires
    Cloth seats
    Trailer brake
    Upfitter switches
    Cab steps
    Skid plates
    Remote start
    Cab lights
    Extra heavy duty alternator

MSRP was $40,255
    Dealer invoice was $37,642
    Dealer discounted from msrp all but $200
    Subtract $2500 for plow upfit rebate (!!!)
    Subtract $1000 for ford credit financing
    Subtract another $3000 in rebates

My out the door price for my special order F350 was $31,342.
  17. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

Fresh off the transport. Hasn't even been through dealer prep.

18. snowplower1

its beautiful, I ended up buying the one with basic functions. Got a better deal on that one than the other one. I would have spent nearly 4,000 more for the one with all the good stuff but im not gonna miss any of that stuff. I've always had just the basics.
  19. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Very nice and sounds like a good deal. I wish I lived closer to you, so I could put my striping brush to it. :D
  20. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

I like that grill...looking good.