1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How would you fix this?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by stevesmowing, Mar 14, 2011.

1. stevesmowing

stevesmowing Member

I had a customer call me complaining we put a dent in his garage door. How would you fix this dent? There isn't much to it. one part is missing a little paint and the other part is pushed in maybe 1/4" max. I was thinking a little touch up paint on the one on the left and I would try the heat gun and compressed caned air trick on the one on the right. Any idea how hot I should heat the door up to? I've used that trick with cars before and heated them up to ~300 I don't know how the paint on the aluminum will hold up compared to automotive paint. The customer wanted the entire door panel replaced....

door.jpg

2. dayexco

dayexco Senior Member

i'd go over there tomorrow with a toilet plunger, and see if it'll gently pull out. otherwise, you'll end up replacing the panel...how high up is it? would you have gotten that high with your blade?

3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Is it an insulated door? If not bang it out from inside.If you replace the panel it won't match any ways.

4. stevesmowing

stevesmowing Member

The door is insulated. If all else fails before I replace the door I could try cutting out the insulation and banging it out then repairing the insulation from the inside. It's the 3rd panel up so it is possible the top of the blade could have hit it.

Good point about a new panel not matching....

5. forbidden

forbidden Senior Member

One of my guys did the same thing with the bobcat, got too close and did not even realize it. I have no doubt that it was him and the tell tale marks of a rolled over bucket speak the truth. We are replacing the door and then the 3 panels that are still good, we might be able to sell them to other residents of the complex that had previous damage. The one damaged panel I am going to take apart and see if I can smooth it out properly, clean the scuff off and then resell it as well. Should turn a $900 loss into a break even if I can.

6. grf_1000

grf_1000 Senior Member

if its the 3rd panel up, that pretty high. at minimum it would be 4 feet to the bottom of that panel if its a 8' door. that dent is not at the bottom neither. do you have a flap on your plow? i dont see any black marks. a flap will leave them.

7. IC-Smoke

IC-Smoke Senior Member

you could always buy a new door, swap and keep the dented door and sell it on craigslist or ebay.

Looks pretty close to the door casing... Im sure you would have hit that as well if you touched the door... :eek:

8. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

Looks like there is a small vertical mark but if that is the 3rd panel and the others are fine I'd tell them to pound sand, nicely of course:D

9. Lugnut

Lugnut Senior Member

A plow would have either taken the white paint off the door or left some yellow or red paint on it I'd imagine

10. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

Smash into it in the middle of the night and take off. PLay stupid when he calls and make it someone elses problem.

11. DodgeBlizzard

DodgeBlizzard Senior Member

That's what I was thinking. That's way up there.

12. mricefish

mricefish Member

3rd panel up would be way too high to hit with a plow I think (looking at my 8 foot door in the garage). and not sure how you would hit it out by the edge like that and not cause damage to the jamb. If you dont think you did it take your plow over there and see if it even looks like the points that would hit come close to matching where the dent is. if they dont look like it even comes close to matching I would ask him how could we have made the dent? I know you have to try to make the guy happy, but are you sure that your guys did make the dent? seems to me there would be some paint from the rubber flap or the plow left behind. It looks to me like the guy is trying to get a new door or someone else to fix it so he does not have to pay for it his self.

13. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

I have gently nudged my brothers garage door with my flap and it left a couple of black marks but it did not leave a dent. I would be sure to drive my truck over there with the plow mounted to see if it matches up before I thought about fixing it.

14. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

check at the local home depot, many times when they order garage packages, if the package gets returned, the door ends up being discounted out because it isn't part of regular stock. I know this because every year I buy about a dozen brand new doors from the local depot, usually only paying about $100/garage door

15. BillyRgn

BillyRgn Senior Member

See if you could prove to him it wasn't you, if not and he becomes hostel I would forward him on to the insurance company and let them fight with him, just make sure you call the agent first and tell them it is not a possibility that you did it. After all this is why we have insurance. Your responsible for damage you caused,but this guy sounds more like he is trying to shake you down. In my experience the customer usually will not let you try to fix it. they will give you or insurance company a quote and want the money, then they don't fix it and pocket the money. Then for a tiny dent that doesn't bother them, they got the money from you to pay you for this year and the next.

16. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

I wonder what the chances are that a company i am assuming is called "Steves Mowing" has insurance?

17. BillyRgn

BillyRgn Senior Member

Good point

18. mricefish

mricefish Member

Looked at your pic again and it really looks like the dent goes past the rubber wheather strip. I would guess that it got the crinkle from being shut too fast sometime. Give us an update on how your situation is going, hope you dont pay for a door that you did not damage just to keep the guy happy. Am all for fixing what we caused here, but Hate it when people try to get others to foot the bill for something that they did on their own.

19. bhmjwp

bhmjwp Senior Member
    from kcmo

If you have a crease at any fold of the metal-that panel is shot. Get the make and model off the door and do a search-just but the panel w/o hardware. I always have professionally installed. If the customer requests a completely new door-they pay the difference.

20. BillyRgn

BillyRgn Senior Member

Just wanted to add, you are better off having a door company do it so you are not held liable for any thing else, like the door falling off on the car in the future or worse on a person, then it is tough to fight, they will say who must have done something wrong and it is hard to defend your self because you have no training or door experience. Pay a little now or risk a lot down the road