1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

how would you do this?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by HolleysSnow, Sep 10, 2011.

1. HolleysSnow

HolleysSnow Junior Member

this is a retirement home so its zero tolerance. just curious how you would go about clearing this. Im thinking 2 trucks with wide-outs and possibly a skid with a 10' push, 3 man shovel crew using 1 2-stage and 2 1-stage blowers. figuring about 2.5-3 hours to plow and 3 hours to clear walks. Have to salt lots/roads/walks/drives as well. what equipment would you use and how long you think you can get this down to?

retirement home.jpg

2. HolleysSnow

..and the front lots amount to roughly less than 2 acres btw

3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Depending on how much snow you get the, trucks with just plows might not be enough to keep the snow off the roads. About 3 hours start to finish.

4. alldayrj

alldayrj PlowSite.com Addict

have fun with that circle in the bottom right :)

I would rather swap a truck for another skid if you have the equipment.

5. HolleysSnow

we plow an hoa down the street with a few miles of road and we're able to maintain it, most of our snowfalls are anywhere around 2-6" and a few big lake effect storms a year..and yea allday that circles not going to be fun. im not even gonna bother with a truck in there

6. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

Parking lot designers should be required to plow snow for a year before they're allowed to design anything. Several islands in that place appear to serve no purpose and shouldn't even be there. :dizzy:

7. HolleysSnow

i know numbers will be different where your from..i have figured my price out and feel comfortable with it. just curious what you all think this is worth to see if im on the same page..have a feeling i might be too high

8. bhmjwp

bhmjwp Senior Member
    from kcmo

I can assume you will have a per push price-concidering your area. Treat yourself will on the price. I think you may be about 25% low on man hours. The reason I say that is 55+ centers not only have 0 tolerance but expectation are extreme. The ones we do, we shovel between cars and in carports, in front of garages, no snow between curbs and walks. And I agree, the liability is great for a 72 years old man walking to his car in an blizzard. Real event, could not convince him that the office would not be open at 8 am for his appointment. He made it off the property fine, but got stuck on the main road.

Have good communication with on property management during storms-makes all the difference in the world!

9. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

Good Advice........I see Alot of Broken Hips and Upset seniors in the OPs Future....:eek:

10. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

Cover your ass on drifting...Looks like it could be a Nightmare for that....Some of those walks/drives could have an inch on them while others could have a Foot.....:help:

11. grandview

Don't forget all those old people need to have their drives done in case someone wants to visit them in the middle of a blizzard.

12. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

Ya Like an EMT

13. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

For a job like that, I think skid steers would be your best friend. Truck would be nice for the roads, as far as getting them done faster. I would bump your sidewalks up to about 8 hours or so. Looks like there are quite a few of them to do. Plus you probably have to shovel in front of the garages and all that crap.

14. grandview

If you win this bid ,what you can do is buy them all a bus tix to FLA. this way you won't have to hurry up and plow the place out!

15. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I'd be looking for a truck with a wing. Will speed up keeping the roadways open, and you'll have a way to push snow back after the storm.

16. snocrete

snocrete Banned

2 skids with 10ft blades could handle that whole property, but a truck would be nice for the roads. Hard to tell from that pic how many walk guys, but 3-4 seems about right.

10ft blades would be much more productive on the skids than 10ft pushers in a place like that.....looks like lots of backdragging and windrowing to me.

17. snocrete

snocrete Banned

In 1 of our HOA's last winter, we had 8-9ft drifts covering the entire driveway on some houses and 2 inches on others....the storm that happened on was a little over a foot of accumulation total.

The subdivision sits next to a huge field, and I was aware when first bidding of the drifting that occurs. In the last couple yrs it is pretty common for us to go plow 1/2 to 3/4 of the subdivision after each storm due to drifting $$$$

Last edited: Sep 11, 2011
  18. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

Don't remind me of that nightmare!

19. leon

leon Senior Member

snow removal

My first question would be how many
    lane miles are involved?

How wide are the access roads?

Where are the fire hydrants, and fire lanes if any?

What have been the snow fall totals in the
    area for the years the retirment home
    has been in existance asssuming you
    are near Gary and the lakeshore?

You have lots of room for a small grader to work
    and use the grader to push the snow way back with
    a 12 foot belly blade making 8 to 12 foot passes where
    possible in one swipe.

A farm tractor with even the smallest model
    Pronovost PXPL-86 snow blower will ,make quick
    work of the drive ways and sidewalks.

The PXPL models will scrap down to pavement with either
    the plastic or metal edge scraper and will also drag out snow
    to dispose of in a different area.

A very small 6 wheel drive grader will have more than enough
    power and speed to do the access roads and large parking lot
    with plenty to spare.

EDIT: The Farm tractor and the PXPL snow caster would make quick work of the
    parking lots as they can scrape and also remove any snow banks quickly.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2011
  20. 2brothersyc

2brothersyc Member

why not an internatinal and a 2500? that would work fine