1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How would a combo poly/steel edge work?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by oldmankent, Jan 13, 2005.

1. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

Been thinking about this. I've come to the conclusion that it wouldn't work, but thought I'd mention it and see what everyone thinks. Run a polyedge on your plow and then bolt a thin steel cutting edge on the front of it so the steel was the leading cutting surface. Say a 1/4" piece. Idea is that the steel would cut into hard pack and ice better than the poly, but the poly would still do it's job of beating the crap out of the plowed surface. Problems I can see are thin steel would get beat up quickly. It also might bend when back dragging. Also might not cut any better but worse because the overall surface area of the cutting edge would be increased, which is why I think the poly edge works well to begin with. Noise level increased too. Any thoughts on this nutty idea. Nick.

2. oldmankent

Geez, I thought you guys would be all over this thread telling me I was out of my mind, don't I have something better to do...

3. plowed

plowed Senior Member

I'll let you know how it works. We installed poly edges on all our plows this season and installed the old cutting edge on top of the poly as a means of securing it all to the trip edge. The poly still has a ways to wear down till it meets the old steel cutting edge, but I am wondering the same as you.

4. oldmankent

How thick are your old cutting edges? 1/2" I bet they aren't going to help with much. I think the wider the bearing surface the more likely the edge is going to ride up over stuff. But, maybe the harder material will bite down in better. Please do let me know. Nick. One thing is for sure, you will be able to tell when the poly edge does wear down enough. you will hear it.