1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How wideouts work?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Canplow, Jan 12, 2012.

1. Canplow

Canplow Senior Member

I see alot of talk about V-plow vs Wide outs or wings.Was looking to discuss if you can make a straight plow a wideout or add wings? I have a newer 8' arctic poly any help? How do these options work?

2. T-Trim

T-Trim Senior Member
    from NE OH

A Ploy plow is missing the steel moly board. that' s where its strength comes from. So I would say adding wings to a ploy plow would be bad news. Unless the wings are designed to fail before it damages the frame or skelton of the ploy plow. I hope this help.

3. Canplow

Canplow Senior Member

are the wing on other plows removable if so I would think I could rig something to the skelton frame

4. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

You can put buyers wings on a poly plow. Myself and others all have done it. Follow th directions and it works fine. The buyers wings are emovable and work well for what u are trying to achieve. There a few threads on here including one of mine with pics of how they were attached. As for meyer poly blades they are very strong and worked great for me until I wnet and bought a true wideot but the fiher xls model. Best investment I've ever made. You can't beat the productivity.

5. bugthug

bugthug Senior Member
    from Pa

Look at westerns mvp plus. The poly and steel are exact same plow .

6. Eronningen

Eronningen Senior Member

False. :rolleyes:

7. T-Trim

T-Trim Senior Member
    from NE OH

How So? Please explain. Ploy plows are not welded to the skelton like full steel plows.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2012
  8. lilpusher

lilpusher Senior Member
    from Indiana

Look at weight specs. Compare a poly vs steel. Steel always weighs less. Why? Cause the poly frame has been heavily reinforced to make up for not having the mold board welded in.

9. T-Trim

T-Trim Senior Member
    from NE OH

I see. But the moly board being welded vs bolted is hand down stronger. Its like building a book case. Once you glue and screw the back on that shelf its ten times stronger then just nails. Gluing is like welding which makes a very rigid structure as oppose to just bolts.

I know the ploy plow have more of a frame, but it comes down to the strength the moly board gives back to the frame and how well the frame and board are married.

Now back to the adding wings to a ploy plow.

Can you get away with using wings on a ploy plow? Yes

Can the ploy plow stand up to heavy duty use with the wings? Not recommended in my book

I would just be careful hitting stuff that you shouldn't it adds up and after many events later somethings got to give.

10. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

Follow this link to the thread to show how I installed the buyers wings on my 8.5 and 7.5 meyer poly blade. Worked great and never broke a weld, poly blade or wing. I plowed all commercial accounts with about 10 acres total per round.

http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=75558&highlight=pro+wings+pictures

Last edited: Jan 15, 2012