1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

how well dose a dually push

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by snowsniper1, Feb 9, 2007.

1. snowsniper1

snowsniper1 Senior Member

how well dose a dually push w/ a blade like a blizzard or a v-blade?dose it help to take a one of the rear wheels off.i have good tires .the srw trucks seem to push better than the drw.any info would be a appericated.thanks

2. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

that is true because on the drw, the weight in the back is spread out over more surface area due to the extra two tires. However, assuming that the truck is a 4*4, and with some ballast, it should push fine.......open lots are more suited for this type of vehicle though.

3. illtc

illtc Junior Member

I'm no expert at this but I have not ever seen anyone take one set of wheels off of a dually before. From what I have seen and been told the secret for a dually is to use a lot of weight in the bed if its a two wheel drive. I would assume if its 4 wheel drive it wouldn't be much different than a srw truck. Now I have never owned a dually but did drive tow truck for a while and it was a dually 2 wheel drive truck. I would go out in storms and never had any trouble getting around in deep snow.

4. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

Don't take your dually wheels off.

A dually plows just as good as any other truck.

One, floatation on snow is not/should not be an issue. Because your dually tires are driving on the surface you just plowed, not snow.

My dump truck is a dually, when it doesn't have salt in it I sometimes need 4wd. But the bed weight does a good job. In a pickup I would reccomend ballast.

But if you are 4wd you are fine.

With a pickup truck dually, or any dually your biggest obstacle is the added width. You need to make sure you have a big enough blade.

5. redneck farmer

redneck farmer Senior Member

We've got an 80's C-70 Chevy dump truck with a 9 foot angle plow that my father uses for his construction business. With a some ballast in the dump body it pushes well with the duals on it.

6. DAFFMOBILEWASH

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

Yep, with weight they are as good as any other plow truck. The limiting facor will be how large are your lots. To be honest the larger the lot the better they are. Most of all don't expect to turn on a dime.

But to carry lots of salt and push larger lots they are a must. Could you imagine 3-4 yards on a single wheel truck(OUCH)!!~!

Good luck in plowing

DAFF

7. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

Do NOT take the rear tires off! A Dually will push as well as any other truck. It might be a b*tch plowing residentials but it would be a missile in lots! Something like this with a 9'2 Boss V or Blizzard 810....:nod:

2008 F-450.jpg

8. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I saw one of those F450 Fords at the Landscape show a month ago. It was a King Ranch. It had 2 bucket seats with console in the back. Without a doubt the nicest truck I have ever seen. One of those with a 5th wheel trailer and an 8 week holiday site seeing, AW DREAMING again.

9. home rescue

home rescue Member
    from wv

I have a 1990 chevy 4x4 dually, truck ame as a cab and chassis, outsise rear wheel to outside rear wheel is 7 foot width not really that wide. 8 1/2 foot western blade with mega scoops gives me almost 10 1/2 foot. 2- 3 acre lots WOW. Did I mention 454 under the hood. Moves big piles. Anyway I can still push smaller lots, just can't get through the bank drive thru.Even with only a ton of magic, I very seldom ever put it in 4 wheel drive.

10. maximus44

maximus44 Senior Member

I have a 98 DODGE RAM 3500 DUALLY 4X4 with a western 8 1/2 foot plow on it.
    It's fantastic at pushing snow. I also have a slide in salter that weighs about 700lbs empty.
    I rarely use the 4x4 to push.
    tymusic

11. DuallySnoPusher

DuallySnoPusher Senior Member

Dually!!!!!!

I won't plow with anything but a dually!! Get a hopper full of salt and you won't even have to think about 4x4. It sucks to do residential but bigger lots you can fly. You have to have atleast an 8.5 to clear the duallys when angled though.

12. DodgeRam1985

DodgeRam1985 Member
    from Ohio

We use our dually simply for large lots. Now we have done residential drives in bad storms with it when we are behind and it works fine, but it is a real PITA. I never thought I would say this about a snow moving machine, but it is just too big for drives.

13. go plow

go plow Senior Member

ive always owed 1/2 to 3/4 ton trucks in the past, when i bought my one ton i thought i was making a bad move, i thought that on res. properties i would be doomed, but instead on the drives that i would have problems with using the 3/4 ton truck i plowed in 2 wheel with my one ton, im talking drives with steep grades! i think that the only draw back on using the one ton is visability..but you get used to it...

14. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Duallies for me... 4x4 is nice when it gets heavy but for the most part a bit of ballast is enough.

DON'T take off any rear tires--you'll be putting more offset load on your wheel bearings.

15. lawnMaster5000

lawnMaster5000 Senior Member