1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

how well does fluidfilm hold up to underbody washing

Discussion in 'Eureka Fluid Film' started by Boosted Thrills, Feb 27, 2015.

1. Boosted Thrills

Boosted Thrills Junior Member

thinking of trying some but after every snow storm as soon as the weather is above freezing I do a thorough hose down on the underside of the truck. just a garden hose, no soap.

will the fluidfilm hold on? id prefer to not have to reapply throughout the winter. ill plan on reapplying every fall
  2. gtmustang00

gtmustang00 Senior Member
    from Berlin

In my experience, it doesn't last long. I use bar and chain oil every fall and use the spray cans after every storm to reapply to the doors, cab corners, rockers, etc.
  3. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

I wash the underside every time I salt regardless of temps with a oscillating sprinkler and salt-a-way and the FF holds up well. I FF mine spring and fall.
  4. Ieatsno

Ieatsno Junior Member

Salt away!!..Fluid film is great stuff and is said to penetrate rust and help ****** it but it will wash off. I think it is a better universal lubricant and temporary surface protector than anything. I would wash your undercarriage with salt away and do not rinse!. Using fluid film where salt is going to collect or already collected would tend to activate the salt because it is a film that will not dry and cause wetting of the salt thus keeping it activated and defeat the purpose. Summer time after salt has been washed away would be the best idea and time for fluid film.
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2015
  5. Ieatsno

Ieatsno Junior Member

Thats a great idea, using a sprinkler head, DOH!!! I'm trying to reach under using a pressure washer wand with a bend in it.
  6. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

why not just go to a car wash they have the underbody wash which i get all the time
  7. tawilson

tawilson Senior Member

There are 2 types of fluid film. Make sure to get the exterior stuff. As far as the car wash, I wish I could just do the bottom rinse, but I think you have to do the whole package.
    Northern Tool sells an attachment for a pressure washer that rolls around and does an upblast.
  8. On a Call

On a Call Senior Member

What is this salt away ??? Nothing can cut salt.

You can wash it away...so what is this stuff
  9. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Google is a wonderful thing. Thumbs Up

10. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Multiple reasons;

The blade doesn't fit

They don't do a good job with the plow and spreader mounted

They threatened to shoot me if I ran the truck though with the spreader mounted again

They don't run the under carriage spray for 15 minutes in multiple places

They don't run salt-a-way though the car wash

plays hell with the vinyl lettering

I spray though the grill with the motor running to rinse down the engine bay and cooling system

I do between the bed and fender walls though the stake pockets

I fill the cowl channels and let it run though the drains

I crack the doors and wash the inner sills.

When I fluid filming I use the bulk gun not cans for the exterior and spray it heavy, then use the extension wand that comes with the undercoat kit, pull the body plugs and spray the inner walls then down the stake pockets to coat there. I get the vehicle juicy.
  11. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

If you Fluid Film the underside of the truck, why do you need to wash it so often. Of course it will wear off just from driving around in the slop but it should last a while.
  12. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

I've bought cases of the stuff, and with regards to lasting on the truck, it really doesn't last very long here. Maybe our snow has too much poison in it for it to survive :rolleyes:

I use it on locks, and hinges and electric connections, but I just keep washing the underside of the truck, and that seems to be the best bet for me. Self serve car washes do quite well here in the winter months.
  13. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

I rinse excess salt off because, it looks better, I get tired of the salt getting on everything, it is corrosive, look at it this way while I wear deodorant, I bath daily also.
  14. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Lot different applying it out of a bulk sprayer applies a much heavier coat.
  15. WIPensFan

The underside looks better? I wash my trucks too, I don't get crazy with too often though, it's bad again in a few days.
  16. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

I use the spray bombs. Maybe that's why it doesn't work so well...
  17. Ne1

Ne1 Senior Member

I've used ff for sometime now. I have the pro gun and all the attachments. Here's my experience. It works great if you don't wash your truck with anything other than a garden hose. After storms I like to wash all my trucks thoroughly top to bottom. Unfortunately with road salt caked on the gareden hose doesnt cut it. I use my hotsy pressure washer and yes you can see the ff washing off. I just don't see how guys can spray ff at the beginning of the season and then just spray there truck off with a hose for the entire winter so the ff doesnt wash off. It does work great for door hinges, battery terminals etc...
  18. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Yes nice and black instead of white and salt caked.
  19. WIPensFan

Good deal, nothing wrong with taking care of your equipment.
  20. john r

john r Senior Member
    from NJ

Undercoating doesn't wash off. Spray once and fuggit about it.