1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How well does a dually plow?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by starspangled6.0, Mar 15, 2014.

1. starspangled6.0

starspangled6.0 Senior Member

Just picked up an 07 Duramax 1-ton crew cab long box dually. The thing is a towing monster, and should help us a great deal with our business expanding like crazy. My thought is that since we're also growing like crazy in the commercial side of things, how well does a dually handle plowing? I'm thinking about doing a wideout-type setup, for doing big parking lots. There won't be much difference from the 1-ton to the 3\4 ton SRW trucks we normally run, right?
  2. Sawboy

Sawboy PlowSite.com Addict

If it's 4x4, put a couple thousand pounds of ballast in the back, and go move mountains
  3. starspangled6.0

That's what I was thinking. Can't wait to try some small driveways with this thing :D

IPLOWSNO PlowSite.com Addict

I'd have some custom nerd bars made like on a race quad where they flare out towards the back .

Every dually I see has huge holes in the fenders!!

It's funny all the spotters drive duallys at work!! They don't work them they just want to be truckers!!

I want a fast and furious dually!!!
  5. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

6. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Make your plow is wide enough to cover your rear wheels so you aren't driving over your windrows
  7. starspangled6.0

Good info. Thanks for the input. It pays to do your research... Turns out that the dealership I got it from is a ripoff factory, and the warranty they gave me doesn't cover the things listed as covered (yes, it's really true), so I'm looking at new wheel bearings, new cv axle, and new IS shaft. Dealer said he'd call the warranty company and fix it for me; we'll see. Not holding my breath.
  8. Jello1

Jello1 Senior Member

Plowed with a 01 F350 V10 reg cab Dually for 9 years. 9' straight blade was perfect for clearing the path. Unless it was 6"+ of wet heavy snow, I rarely even needed to use 4wd.
  9. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

I with you
    I have a 99 F350DRW 5.4 5 speed with a 9.6 V plow and not often I need 4x4
    Incline docks I will lock it in and in foot of snow
    I found out summer tread works well with it Its only truck I don't have snow tires for it as long I stay on pavement it will plow
    Mine has F450 rear springs and has a heavy flat steel bed I run my 2.5yd salt V box spreader

But doing drive ways with it its ok as long they are straight I can do them but I don't
    My truck stays in lots
  10. ServiceOnSite

ServiceOnSite Senior Member

X2 on always seeing beds with holes in them. Maybe a back up camera or really really good lights.
  11. hardwoodcd

hardwoodcd Senior Member

we have a salter in the back of my dually. very rarely does that truck see 4wd. My driver fills up with salt at the beginning of the event and periodically spreads some salt to keep it from freezing up. but he hardly ever used the 4wd with salt in the spreader.
  12. 94gt331

94gt331 Senior Member
    from usa

I plow with a 3500 dodge dually diesal 8 ft bed crew cab with a 9.2 boss v and also have a salt spreader on the back. It is pretty long to say the least. I love the truck for parking lots it's a beast and pushes the snow. I plow a variety of different challenges with my dually, and know what I can and can't do with it. I can do small drives but gotts take my time since it's so big. My biggest challenge is doing steep drives and or mountain roads and lanes with my dually. It doesn't matter how much salt I have in the bed the dually spins out very bad even in 4wd drive. So I've learned to just send my single rwd cab trucks to do any hilly lanes etc. I have a couple lanes I do that I can't even make it up in 4 inches in the dually. I've thought about getting chains for these situations but I just send the other 2 trucks there.
  13. starspangled6.0

Good information. Thanks again.