1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How was your year?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by JD PLOWER, Mar 14, 2003.

How was your year?

Poll closed May 13, 2003.
  1. Record breaker!

31 vote(s)
  2. Well above normal.

37 vote(s)
  3. Above normal.

21 vote(s)
  4. Normal

11 vote(s)
  5. Below normal.

10 vote(s)
  6. Well below normal.

7 vote(s)
  7. Horrible.

12 vote(s)

JD PLOWER PlowSite.com Veteran

Since things are winding down around these parts (although we did get our last salt run in yesterday) and many of us will not be hanging out here that much until September or October, I thought I'd post a poll about how the year went for the members.
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2003
  2. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

Well, I would wait until May before I would vote. It will be either well above normal or a record breaker. Currently here in Upstate NY, this is the 4th snowiest winter on record, and we are two inches away from being the 3rd snowiest. I think it would take at least another 16" of snow to make this the snowiest winter on record.

But indeed, this is a very good winter for us here in NY! :) :cool:

Stephen I would post this in May but about half the members would be gone by that time. We seem to have less members around here compared to mid February already.
  4. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

I don't know how this year reads in the accumulation books, but in my revenue books it's already been a record breaker. A combination of some more profitable accounts and significant snowfalls have really bolstered my income this season.
  5. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

Dismal year up here in the corner of Vermont. While there is nearly normal snowfall at the "official" site in Burlington we're way down just 10 miles or so north of there. Contracts went over budget on salt due to the numerous small storms but that was made up for by the lack of plowing expense, so they came out pretty good. The per push stuff is coming in terrible though. Most places only got plowed twice, some a few more at the owners request

To compound the problem I have less contract dollars this year as well because I dropped all my condo accounts, which would have generated about 7 grand over the five snow months. Oh well,, it sure ws nice not having to listen to the petty gripes from the condo commandos and there was still enough to cover the bills.

Next year has to be better, can't be much worse.
  6. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

JD Plower, you are right. I thought that you are referring to snowfall. But without a doubt, it is a record breaker for me. I have only been in business for a few years and this winter is the best so far. Much, much better than last winter. This winter definitely will be helping me pay for equipment that I plan to purchase this year. :) Hmmmm.... what should I get? :D I already have a few things on my mind to purchase. ;)

The poll could be taken to mean either snowfall amounts or how well you've done business wise. Maybe I should start one concerning how your business has done.

This year is actually not even close to our best snow fall (68" compared to 108") year but it was also our best financially.
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2003
  8. farmertim

farmertim Member

So, so

Well I plowed twice, compare to 17 times last year, my year is't over yet April 15th is the cut off date usually for snow.
    There was rumors that a bunch of building contractors/snowplowers were going to quit next year but given the light year and we all are on yearly contracts they may stay in, but who knows.
    I may not pick up any more drives next year I was growing at a rate of 40% per year.
    We are way behind in snowfall amounts 21" compared to 115" last year, 98" is our average.
    the only complaint I have is I didn't get enough snow to work out the bugs to my new used plow.
    I guess I will have to post more questions this fall.
    Have a good summer
  9. THREE W

THREE W Senior Member

How should I put it..............HORRIBLE no, that's not right
    Try again.............................HORRIBLE ,
    not even sure that is enough.

one snow event, and 4 salts. good thing it doesn't put the
    food on the table. That is two bad years in a row. I thought after last year it could not get any worst. WRONG!!!
  10. Big Todd

Big Todd Senior Member

This is funny, I logged on tonight with the intention of starting a poll along the same lines. Only I was going to try for the angle of "how do you define a 'good season'?

Does a good season mean a lot of plowing events, a few plowing events, or do you judge it by the amount of profit made.

I know some guys would say they had a good year if they got to plow a lot no matter how much or little they actually made. I would be willing to bet that most of the guys and girls that are members of Plowsite would fall into this category since they actually take the time to discuss plowing on an internet website.

As far as our company, I will have to wait until the final numbers are in, but I am going to guess that money-wise we are going to fall a bit short. We were plauged with problems with a couple of trucks, and that hurt us. We did get to plow quite a bit, but I didn't seem to enjoy it as much as I have in the past. It still beats a real job, but over half of the time, we were plowing with at least one person less than we needed and that is very stressful.
  11. sno-mover

sno-mover Senior Member

Well for me it was a record year, but then again its only my second year plowing:D.:drinkup:
  12. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I've been trying to figure out if this has been a good year or not
    even before this thread started. I haven't analyzed the numbers completely, but so far I've figured -

Snowfall for the year - 62.25 "
    average for this area - 77"

Times I went out for full plow with a 3" trigger - 7 (with two
    being larger amounts of snow fall this equaled 9 plows)
    average for this area - I use 12 when figuring seasonals

Revenue - up 254% from last year (I'd planned for 200%)
    One seasonal account figured out to the equivalent of $500
    an hour.

From preliminary figures, it appears 1/3 of the income was from
    plowing - 2/3 from sanding. There has been some additional
    sanding and salting revenue since I figured this so it needs

Summarized - I'm disappointed at the income from plowing but
    happy with the sanding/salting. Disappointed at losing the bid
    for a couple of lucrative accounts but happy at getting a
    couple of others.

Now - continue to analyze this winter but start planning strategy
    for next winter.:drinkup:
  13. wyldman

wyldman Member

90 percent of our stuff is all seasonal contract,so the fairly heavy winter here cost us a bit on those.Salting was an all time high,48 events,and hopefully a few more.Will be nice as after a heavy winter it's easier to sell an increase in prices,which is inevitable due to rising insurance and other costs.
  14. NoStockBikes!!

NoStockBikes!! Senior Member

It was recordbreakingly horrible. I wanted to be able to vote twice. :D
  15. Sno

Sno Senior Member

I doubled income this year even loosing a large customer..

It was a great year...

One more double and I'll be up there with big Todd

16. Sno

Sno Senior Member

Mn had little snow this year?
  17. SnowGodFather

SnowGodFather Member

12 workable events, 11" above normal, heck yeah recordbreaking for me.

I wanted juuuuuuuuust 1 more event, but that last one just fizzled right out.

Bring El`Nino again.
  18. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

I thougth that this year was about average or a liitle shy. However, I went to see one of my customers today, and they complained becease we had recived so much snow and they were billed so many times :confused: I guess it just depends on the perspective, I was hoping for at least one more too SGF. but we've gotten it in april before, so I'm not giving up yet!
  19. Pickering snow removal

Pickering snow removal Senior Member

Well i would have to check the below average box we did get a boost the first of march heres how it went

Nov 5 salt runs

Dec 2 plow runs 6 salt runs

Jan 2 plow runs 5 salt runs

Feb 3 plow runs 7 salt runs

March so far 5 plow runs 2 salt runs

Normal for us is usally 5-10 plow runs a month plus salt so that said it could of been worse i wish it was better but it is what it is at this point there is poss of late snows but iamnot gonna get myself in a tiz if it does not . Profit is up however so is insurance , fuel. So pretty much a offsetting year i do know next year fuel is gonna be figured into the picture more i liked the fuel surcharge thread may consider it vs raising contract prices overall.
  20. KenP

KenP Senior Member