1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How to wire this up?

Discussion in 'Back-up Buddy - Back-up & Utility Lights - Trucks' started by CMerLand, Jan 16, 2010.

1. CMerLand

CMerLand Senior Member

From what i've read this is just a plug and play system using the seven pin connectors. Now granted I have never wired such a plug on my truck, but have done the six pin connector many times. With that wiring system, the pins are as such, tail lights, right turn, left turn, electric brake, ground, and 12 volt line. The seventh pin is an auxiallary so Im assuming that is somehow used for the reverse unit.

As such how does the unit know to turn on without being wired into the reverse lights system and where does that wire connect into the vehicle harnes or the plug pin?

This would be a perfect application for my dump truck while salting and plowing so curious for your reply.

2. backupbuddy

backupbuddy Senior Member

Hi CMerland,
    The center pole on a 7way is the reverse pole.

3. ken643

ken643 Senior Member

Hello, I have a Jeep wrangler with 2 inch reciever and it has the "flat" pug for the trailer. Anyway to wire it up to acept that flat connector? some type of adapter so its still easily removed? Or would I need to have a 7 pin connector installed on the Jeep?
    Thanks

Ken

Looks like a great product

4. backupbuddy

Hi Ken

You can hardwire into left tail light. It easy to do. We send you everything you need to do it. You will be able to just unplug the unit easily to take off. You can't plug right into 4 Way because no reverse on the 4 way flat.

5. ken643

ken643 Senior Member

Ok, thanks for the info. Where does the wire come out from the left tail light? is it just hanging there? not sure I would like that. I want a nice neat concealed install. Its not always a plow Jeep. Dont really want a wire "pigtail" hanging out of the light?
    Thanks
    Ken

6. backupbuddy

Hi Ken
    sorry for the delay. You run the harness thru the back of left tail light and down behind your bumper, it would run down to the 4 way flat you already have and you could wire tie it to that and then you would plug in the wire from the Back-up buddy to that. So its all hidden under the bumper.

7. ken643

ken643 Senior Member

Ok, understood, thanks!