1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

how to wire new lightbar?

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by hankhill, Aug 8, 2010.

1. hankhill

hankhill Member

isnt really a strobe but I figured this is the closest forum, I have a vector 7pod lightbar has alley work lights and take down aswell the rotators, the wiring was hacked, I don't understand how to wire it to some toggle switches and then what do I do with all those wires? I cant fit the 5 into the tiny fuse box compartment? as you can tell I'm no expert with wiring just no the very simple simple stuff

2. Stik208

Stik208 PlowSite.com Addict

3. kitn1mcc

kitn1mcc Senior Member

that bar when going will draw 25 to 35 amps

4. hankhill

hankhill Member

thanks for the replies you two, that diagram is awesome, but even if I only have the rotators running it will still take 30 amps??

5. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

Those rotators draw a lot of power! Hence the 25 to 30 amp draw.

6. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

Light bars have come a long way and are way more efficient since the old vectors.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2010
  7. hankhill

hankhill Member

darn, will my truck be able to operate itself and the plow with this light bar running? or should I start shopping for a modern one

8. kitn1mcc

kitn1mcc Senior Member

get a big alternator and some batteries and you should be good to go.

9. hankhill

hankhill Member

I have a diesl truck so I have two batterys, they are both about a year old and are interstates 850cca each, and I am honestly not sure what amperage my alternator is, I know that my truck supports the more modern 3g alternators unlike the older IDI ford diesels, what amperage alternators are you fellas running? by the way thanks for your help so far guys

10. kitn1mcc

kitn1mcc Senior Member

i have all leds so i just use stock

nypd used that style bar and truck combo for years. maybe get a big leese neville

11. hankhill

hankhill Member

the leese neville are expensive arent they? I've found my alternator is 130 amp, I'm going to find a really small pulley to swap the current one with so that at lower rpm it will charge nicely

12. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

Wire it all in and give it a try. If the bar is pulling too much power, swap out the alternator.