1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How to wear your shoes

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by johntwist, Nov 5, 2004.

1. johntwist

johntwist Senior Member

This may seem like a dumb one to you vets out there.

I know the plow shoes are there so if you're doing dirt or gravel you can lower them to keep from tearing up the dirt or gravel with the snow. Is there any other use for the shoes besides this??

And, if you know you're going to be doing all asphalt, is it better to leave the shoes on in the up position, or just take them off altogether??

My guess is just take 'em off, but I'd like to hear what you all think.

Thanks.

2. johntwist

johntwist Senior Member

Never mind!

I should've done a search first, but didn't think of it.

I would delete this thread if I could but I don't see any way to do it, they must not allow it.

Anyway, it seems most of you feel the shoes are good for fishing sinkers and that's about it. I'm not going to be doing any cobble or paving stones, so I'll just take them off. They probably will just be in the way of back dragging too.

The only thing that bugs me is that it seems silly that they make and fit them if they are pretty much useless. It's kind of like putting PVC pipe together, I know guys who say you don't need the primer, just glue it. It is true that it will work for the time being. The problem is it won't hold up over time. That's why it's called a solvent-welded joint. The primer is a necessary part of the chemical reaction which bonds the material and makes a good connection. Why would they make the primer if you didn't need to use it? You do need to use it.

I never thought I could compare plumbing with plow shoes. You learn something new everyday :redbounce

3. dzines

dzines Junior Member

I didn't do a search...so I don't know what all you read...But, I have to have the shoes when i do a gravel drive especially with a wet snow, or the blade scrapes more rock than snow......I don't leave home with out them. But I do adjust them a lot, and I do raise them about an inch off the ground when I'm doing my asphalt lots.

However, I don't use them much at all in Feb, March when the ground is frozen like a rock. I get a lot of Freeze/thaw here though.

4. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

In my limited experience with plow shoes, I feel that they only help in preventing cutting edge wear when plowing streets.

I've never had them give me any better results in a stone driveway. They just gouge the heck out of the driveway. I do much better feathering it over stone driveways.

5. PolarBear

PolarBear Member

I usually ..................

Wear them on my feet :p :) :bluebounc

6. baddboygeorge

baddboygeorge Senior Member

shoes

they came off when new an they make good door proppers . shoes are a waste of time just float the blade an get busy!!

7. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

Alternative uses for plow shoes...

10. Boat anchor.
    9. Door wedge.
    8. Dumbell.
    7. Toe stubber.
    6. Hammer.
    5. Garage floor clutter.
    4. Ebay trash.
    3. Wheel chocks.
    2. Something to toss at unsuspecting motorists that pull out in front of you while you are plowing.

And the #1 use for plow shoes is....

Damnit!! I can't think of anything. Lil' help?? :eek:

8. johntwist

johntwist Senior Member

LOL, don't mince words Chris, tell us what you really think! :)

9. crashz

crashz Senior Member

The #1 use for plow shoes...

... cufflinks for a giant!

Ok - cut me some slack. Its Saturday morning and I'm slightly hung over. :)

10. jimsmowin

jimsmowin Senior Member

I HAVE 5 plows all of them have shoes on we do not plow without them, on pavement they are just barley touching. when we do twp roads or stone its a must, on twp roads they keep the plow from catching man hole covers, talk about a way to tear a plow up. its all in what type plowing you are doing :waving:

11. DJC

DJC Senior Member

shoes would come off everytime i got a new plow. I can't stand using them!!!

12. usabestsnoplowr

usabestsnoplowr Junior Member

some customers I have, heard rumors that the guy who plows a drive way should have shoes on. I leave my shoes on the plows just the mold board would be wearing by th time they contact the ground Basicly that is where I set then even with the mold board so when the shoes start to touch the ground change the blade!!!!!

13. Crumm

Crumm Senior Member

I wear my shoes laced up tight and I keep my jeans over the top of them. I hate snow in my shoes.. :rolleyes: