1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How to videos for plowing driveways?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by srpat, Jun 10, 2011.

1. srpat

srpat Junior Member

New to plowing, thinking of buying a lighter duty plow to make clearing snow from rental properties a bit faster. I would be looking to have a few other residential accounts to pay for the plow and make a bit of side money for the season as well.

2 questions -- what are my options for smaller driveways if I don't want to create a pile of snow? I was thinking, as an alternative to snowblowing the entire driveway, I would back drag from the garage and then plow the rest of the driveway -- then, take out the 2-stage snowblower, which I would need anyways for the sidewalks, and blow the pile into the lawn. Any thoughts with that?

Also looking to find some basic videos of people plowing driveways to see what they do with the snow. Thanks.

2. MIDTOWNPC

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

You will have a real hard time blowing a pile that you made with a plow.
    If your going to be using a snow blower to do the walks I would just use that to do the driveway also if its a smaller driveway. If the customer is use to a snow blown it will be hard to convince them to just have it plowed. A snow blower just gets that much more snow off the driveway because it goes closer and its so much narrower.

If your set on going the plow route I would get a backdrag edge installed on the blade so it scrapes good. Your plow will be light to begin with and you might have a hard time in heavy snow.

Each drive way is different but a few things to remember would be to not push snow across the street. After you get the snow to the end of the driveway push it up on the lawn and lift your blade so you dont take off the grass. Best to keep most of the snow to the left of the driveway so when the town snow plow comes by it doesnt fill the driveway with all that snow you just plowed.

Personally for the wear and tear on the truck, the insurance, and the investment Id stick to snow blowing the resi's

3. TPC Services

TPC Services Senior Member

WOW,, an I mean WOW........ heres a quick soultion HIRE IT OUT!!! your telling me you have never seen this done??

4. Kramer

Kramer Senior Member

The best combo for residentials is a small truck or jeep and a single stage blower for the walks.
    Unless you have a lot of walks along the road where the town truck pushes the piles, the smaller single stage blowers can be thrown in and out of the truck with ease. Plowing is about time--the quicker the better.

With regard to your question, yes, you are half right. Pulling up to the garage and backdragging is the way to go. Depending on length of driveway most times you backdrag all the way to the road and then feather it into the side of the road. There are very few cops that will bother you doing this. Don't push it right across the road and clean up as soon as you can.

As mentioned earlier, a back drag edge for your plow will pay itself off in no time, and cuts your time down a lot as backdragging often requires several passes over the same are to scrape residual snow off.

If you are going to do drives with a 2 stage blower, you are going to invest a lot of time so in short, you wont be able to do a lot of drives not to mention the problem of being out in the cold and wet. One ice storm is enough for me to want to sit in a truck.

5. k5PlowGuy

k5PlowGuy Member

WOW you're so helpful...

6. TPC Services

TPC Services Senior Member

yes I am!!

7. JTVLandscaping

JTVLandscaping Senior Member

All good advice here...but the how-to video thing, that seems like a good market. I should do it, not that new people will buy them to learn but because all the veterans will buy them to critique it!