1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How to treat 15 acres of concrete ??

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by margesimpson, Sep 1, 2003.

1. margesimpson

margesimpson Junior Member

15 acres of solid new concrete on condo job, they will NOT allow saly use.. what do we use and where do you find this..
    thanks !!

2. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

whatever it is it is going to be expensive payup

theres always urea
  3. Lawn Lad

Lawn Lad Senior Member

Check out Cryotech or Envirotech Services. You'll need CMA most likely (Calcium Magnesium Acetate).
  4. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Welcome to PlowSite, margesimpson. You're profile says your occupation is "Expert". I'm curious - Expert at what?
  5. margesimpson

i didnt put expert, the site did. im just looking for info. is there any product that you can treat salt with?
  6. JCurtis

JCurtis Banned

Why can't you use
    Magic Salt:D
  7. margesimpson

Where can I find info on magic salt, and do they sell it bulk?
  8. JCurtis

JCurtis Banned

You can go to www.magicsalt.com and read up on Magic Salt. You can actually buy the liquid and treat your own bulk salt piles.

you can contact Taconic through here by pm or you can call him

Taconic Maintenance
    186 Cottage Street
    Poughkeepsie, NY 12601
    Phone: 845-485-4200
    Fax: 845-473-1912
    Email: wemeltice@aol.com

As far as selling bulk Magic Salt, There may or maynot be a distributor in your area ( Taconic is in Poughkeepsie NY) but I am sure he can point you out to one in your area. If not, you may want to consider becoming a distributor yourself.

Good Luck !
  9. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

I use magic salt exclusively but id be a little hesistant to use it on 15 acres of concrete.If something happened you better have good insurance,no one will back you if you used any form of salt IMO. Also sometime the magic zero washes out of the salt if its snowing hard,ir freezing rain,and it isnt covered good,that leaves you with straight salt,applying in freezing rain is the same thing,you apply,the magic zero washes away in 5 minutes leaving salt only. I love magic salt,but id be a little hesistant using it.I do not know what would be best,magic may be the lesser of 2 evils,in this case.
  10. nsmilligan

nsmilligan PlowSite.com Veteran

Check for products that meet the PNS requirements ( Pacific Northwest States Consortium, they've developed corrosive guidelines for ice control products, to combat the costs of maintaining concrete highway infrastructure, due to the effects of choride based de-icers, one site to check is: http://www.bareground.com
    Some of the guys in the northwest should have a handle on more products.
  11. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

last season I contacted Tactonic about becoming a distributor for magic, he basicaly blew me off. :rolleyes:

Anyways. if ya want to split a order of magic liquid I'd go halvsies with ya, let me know
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2003
  12. John Allin

John Allin PlowSite.com Addict

Try looking at this site....
    Landscapers Choice will work on concrete without causing damage... we use it almost exclusively when rock salt is ruled out. It's a blended product....

It comes out of Canada, and they will deliver to the Oregon, Ohio area.
  13. wyldman

wyldman Member

I'll have to check them out,they aren't too far from us.
  14. dssxxxx

dssxxxx Member
    from NJ

Landscapers Choice is +90% sodium chloride (rock salt) and less then 1 or 2% CMA. Might as well buy a bag of rock salt.
  15. Andy N.

Andy N. Senior Member

in your original question, you said you cannot use treated salt. That is what Magic Salt is.
  16. spiviter

spiviter Member
    from chicago

I think its called Pro Ice. But it runs 7.49 per 50 pound bag when we buy it by the skid (50 bags). Good to -12 Contains Sodium, Potassium, calcium, and Magnesium. We use 50 bags on about a 6-1/2 acre lot spreading it very thin. I Should use 2 skids on that lot. But they dont like the high price...
  17. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

I doubt she will read ya. Post is over 2 years old.
  18. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

That is so funny, I was going to start to suggest using urethane edges and sand mixtures until I saw that John DiMartino had replied, and I said wait a minute, John hasn't been on Plowsite much after Vinny started on TV. Man I hate it when Old posts get brought back up and I don't realize it:p