1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How to Tighten Bolts Inside Truck Frame?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by jimbo54494, Oct 22, 2011.

1. jimbo54494

jimbo54494 Junior Member

New to the forum and plowing, I'll apologize in advance for novice questions...

I picked up a series 25 Snoway with downpressure for my 1997 Dodge Ram 1500. I picked up the proper mount yesterday and have it positioned under the truck and the holes line up. So far so good... The fronts are easy (bumper frame bolts). The rears are the head scratcher for me. I have two on each side, there are holes that line up but only 1 of the 4 goes through both sides. From what I've read on here so far I don't want to bolt through both sides of the frame anyway. I've read about the trick of fishing a wire through the frame and pulling the bolts through. Ok, I can see how I can do that... I have good fasteners with nylon lock nuts. Once I get a bolt pulled through how am I going to be able to tighten it properly without the bolt spinning inside the frame?
  2. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

Tack weld a hunk of metal to the bolt that will contact the frame when tightening the nut, make sure it's long enough to contact the other side of the frame as well... so it comes off just as easy.
  3. 07F-250V10

07F-250V10 Senior Member

If your not using lock nuts then you just zap it with an impact with lock washers. otherwise you have to weld a metal rod to the bolt
  4. pooleo8

pooleo8 Senior Member

If your bolt it long enough, you can grab it with a pair of channel locks. Once the nut is about to touch on the channel locks, move them to the outside and grab back on. It you can't hold tight enough because of the lock nut, try regular nuts. (2) Then lock them together when finished.